Its mission is to find ways to encourage young people to follow Jesus, make disciples, and to transform the world.
Youth & Young Adults
Click on the links below to learn more about various areas of ministry with youth and young adults:
Havaleh Havelka, Training and Resource Specialist
Summit is a spiritual retreat for youth grades 6 through 12 and includes powerful sessions with challenging talks, inspirational music, and lots of fun for youth groups.
2021 Date: TBD
Questions? Email Alex Cheyney, Summit Design Team Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
IgniteUS is a middle school retreat for youth grades 6 through 8, planned and hosted by CCYM.
Sadly, due to COVID-19 restrictions, the IgniteUS middle school retreat has been cancelled for 2020. We grieve with the members of the CCYM who spent months planning for this event, and we grieve with the many middle school youth who were excited to attend this year.
Refunds have been processed for all paid registration fees. If you don't see your refund, please contact Carol Bateman at email@example.com.
2021 Date: April 23rd-25th, 2021
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADVENTURES IN MINISTRY (AIM)
AIM is a school year long process of discernment for young people who are exploring God's calling on their lives. Go to adventuresinministry.org to learn more.
Questions? Email Annallee Allen at email@example.com.
YETI – PFEIFFER UNIVERSITY
YeTI is a two-week summer experience for rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors who want to become useful and effective servant leaders—and are ready to learn more about themselves in relation to God and God’s call on their lives.
Over the course of two weeks, students will explore time-honored theological ideas, put faith into action through hands-on learning and community service, engage in a daily rhythm of prayer and worship and discover what it means to be a beloved member of God’s household. After engaging in this program, students will be better equipped to lead mission and ministry in their communities.
Learn more about YeTI on the Pfeiffer website.
Click here for the YeTI printable sheet to share this information with others.
CONFERENCE COUNCIL ON YOUTH MINISTRIES (CCYM)
The CCYM is a leadership team of youth and adults who plan and implement ministries for youth across the Western North Carolina Conference. In addition, the CCYM receives grant applications and awards Youth Service Funds each year.
The CCYM mission is to find ways to encourage young people to follow Jesus, make disciples, and to transform the world.
Are you a youth or adult who is inspired by the CCYM mission? Apply to join the 2020-2021 team! Deadline to apply is August 15, 2020.
Questions? Please contact Rev. Shannon LeMaster-Smith, CCYM Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The YSF is money that is raised by youth for youth. Funds are raised through local churches, then are given away through grants administered by the CCYM.
Of the funds given, 70% is given back within the Western North Carolina Conference. The remaining 30% is donated to the General Council on Finance and Administration (GCFA), and this amount is used to fund projects that a team of youth from around the world select. Most importantly, the projects supported are designed and led by youth, for the benefit of their peers. (Book of Discipline 2012, ¶649. 3. i-k; ¶1208)
Are you a volunteer or staff person ministering to youth? Consider participating in the Youth Ministry Coaching Program!
The Western NC Conference partners with The Youth Cartel to offer the Youth Ministry Coaching Program to individuals who are volunteering or working professionally in youth ministry. The program is designed to provide an opportunity for critical reflection and discussion of youth ministry issues, but also to provide a safe place to experience holistic growth. This is not a training program; it is an opportunity for individuals to receive one-on-one spiritual and life coaching in addition to group discussion and accountability within a small cohort.
This cohort experience involves six in-person, two-day meetings and ten virtual individual coaching sessions over the course of one year. The in-person meetings take place within the geographic boundaries of the conference and participants are responsible for their travel expenses.
Cohorts for 2020 are already filled.
Reach out to Havaleh Havelka, Training and Resource Specialist, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Maybe you have it all figured out…maybe you could use a little guidance. Young People’s Ministries recently revised “Youth Ministry Staff Position Recommendations” to assist you in the process.
Originally conceived as “The Epworth Document” and written by conference youth staff from the Southeastern jurisdiction, the goal of the brief resource is to give churches suggestions for hiring, managing, and releasing youth ministry staff with dignity and care. Check it out to see how you/your church is doing.