Spiritual Renewal Grant for Clergy and Lay Ministry Professionals, Fall 2022
August 17, 2022
And [Jesus] said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a lonely place, and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat.
And they went away in the boat to a lonely place by themselves.
The WNCC Leadership Development Team (LDT) invites you to intentionally seek the presence of God in a space, and in a posture before God, that you can receive what God has to offer you, away from the myriad of needs in your community!
This time in which we live has been hard on ministry leaders and ministry workers. The LDT wants to help nurture your spirit in order to be renewed and restored in life and in ministry.
WNCC clergy under appointment and lay ministry professionals can receive one grant per calendar year. We are asking for your personal investment of $50 to one of these offerings, and the LDT will provide the rest of the funds up to $500!
Funds are limited, so please apply early!
To obtain Spiritual Renewal funding, please follow these steps, submitting your request by September 22, 2022, through the online request system:
-> STEP 1: Register for your chosen renewal opportunity and obtain confirmation
-> STEP 2: Complete the online request form (the "Request Funding Now" link below)
-> STEP 3: Provide proof of registration and cost
Please read these details about funding:
- Spiritual Renewal grant funds can be requested once a year by participants.
- An invoice or registration confirmation/email will be required to process your request.
- If you wish to request mileage reimbursement, please include the estimated calculation when you submit your form. (The 2022 mileage rate is $0.625 per mile.)
- The preference is for WNC to pay the provider directly; travel will be paid by reimbursement to your church or to you after your program.
- If online registration is required and registration is more than $50, the Leadership Development Team will reimburse you the difference. Please be sure to note this on your application.
- Please be aware, the Conference Council on Finance and Administration has adopted a policy, endorsed by the WNCC Cabinet, that a church requesting a grant from the Conference, District and even General Church agency, must be progressing toward 100% payment of all 2022 apportionments. This applies toward churches and clergy. If your church doesn’t meet this qualification, a grant application should not be submitted. We are endeavoring to work with churches that are striving to meet apportionment payment goals and will consider on a case by case basis.
~ Re-Investing Local Church Apportionment Dollars into Leadership in Western North Carolina ~
Spiritual Renewal Offerings for Fall 2022
Personal and/or Renewal Retreats
An unstructured, program-free, personal retreat may be just what you need right now. Renew your soul by journeying from your current environment into nature at a spiritual retreat center to encounter God.
Some of our local retreat centers also offer structured programs, such as the Catholic Conference Center, St. Francis Springs Prayer Center, and the Well of Mercy
Browse the Retreats for Sabbath Rest & Renewal page for options offered at multiple local retreat centers, including overnight renewal retreats, specials and programs, and virtual retreats!
If you are looking for a structured program for your renewal retreat, here are a few highlights:
- Women's Walk with Christ (September 16-18 at Catholic Conference Center)
- Life in the Garden Retreat (October 3-5 at Hinton Rural Life Center)
- Men’s Retreat: Practical Holiness, “Be who you are… and be that well.” (October 7-9 at Catholic Conference Center)
- Journey to Joy Women's Retreat (November 11-13 at Lake Junaluska)
- Silent Directed Retreat (November 11-13 at St. Francis Springs Prayer Center)
- The Wesleyan Way: An Adult Confirmation Experience (November 18-20 at Hinton Rural Life Center)
- New Year's Retreat (December 30, 2022 - January 1, 2023 at Catholic Conference Center)
We kindly request you take your retreat at a Christian retreat center to support our partnering ministries, as we will be unable to fund individually-created retreats this cycle.
Day retreats are opportunities for renewing your soul away from the hubbub of life. This might be the option for you, if you long for a retreat, but can't leave home overnight. If you feel drawn to one of these choices, we encourage you to schedule multiple day retreats through the year, perhaps even monthly Sabbath retreats. Options may include:
- Find Your Center at the Catholic Conference Center
- Sanctuary Days and Quiet Space Fridays at Starrette Farms
- Peaceful Day in Nature at Well of Mercy
The Sacred Invitation
The Sacred Invitation at Starrette Farm Retreat is a 12-month soul-shaping curriculum for those who long for something more:
- Do you long to deepen your relationship with God?
- Do you hunger to respond to the Spirit's invitation to live out your sacred purpose?
- Do you yearn to be a part of a kindred community to nurture you in the process?
This specialized program, beginning November 5-6, includes eleven retreat days, and two optional student work-day retreats designed for those who hunger for a holistic approach to the inner-work that deepens their life with God — equipping and empowering participants to love, live, and lead from the center out.
Thomas Merton described Spiritual Direction as, “…in reality, nothing more than a way of leading us to see and obey the real Director—hidden in the depths of our soul.”
The Leadership Development Team invites you to participate in a program of spiritual direction to deepen your faith as you engage with a specialized spiritual director. The Spiritual Director engages with the individual, not as a counselor, but as one who helps the directee hear, with a greater sense of clarity, the voice of God speaking into his or her life. Usually the directee meets with their Spiritual Director no more than once a month.
There are a number of spiritual directors in North Carolina who give this service for free, but there are also many who have a nominal fee for accompanying individuals in their spiritual life. WNC Spiritual Directors by Districts
Application Details: Please contact your chosen director and request an agreement indicating an anticipated number of sessions at the set rate. This agreement will be needed to process your funding request; then the spiritual director will need to send invoices after sessions take place.
Note: All payments must be issued by year's end, from the 2022 budget. Please plan accordingly as you schedule sessions.
Upper Room Five-Day Spiritual Academies
A “taste” of the Two-Year Academy for Spiritual Formation, Shorter Academies (formerly the 5-Day Academy) invite participants to spend time apart in a Christian retreat setting with worship shaping the heart and soul of the retreat. Throughout the week you will meet in a small, covenant group, reflecting on your spiritual journey and sharing how God is working in you during the Academy. Faculty presenters, chosen for knowledge of a certain topic and integrity as faith practitioners, will provide the primary content of your Shorter Academy.
Find details on our Upper Room academies page, including a sample agenda, and links to register for upcoming academies. Full information can be found at http://academy.upperroom.org/. Upcoming local/virtual academies include:
August 14 - 19
Five Day Hybrid Virtual and in Pine Knoll Shores, NC: The Widow's Way and Radical Spirituality & Radical Self-Care
September 25 - 30
Five Day Hybrid Virtual and in Fruitland Park, FL: Journey to Wholeness
March 5 - 10, 2023
Questions or ideas for a future opportunity? Contact Kim Ingram at email@example.com or Marsha Patton at firstname.lastname@example.org (704-535-2260).