Orientation to Ministry
Orientation to Ministry (O2M) is for all persons coming under first-time appointment. It will provide an orientation to ministry in the Western North Carolina Conference by preparing participants for effective ministry in a new setting and encouraging collegial relationships. This year O2M will kick-off with an lunch at Annual Conference followed by sessions that will be offered virtually through Zoom. All participants must have a computer, stable internet connection, and a webcam for participation.
- O2M Schedule: All Sessions are by Zoom and 60 minutes unless stated otherwise
- Tuesday, May 24, 6:30 Understanding Health and Pension Benefits (90 minutes)
- Saturday, June 18, 12:30 Introductions and Collegial Connections (90 minutes) at Lake Junaluska
- Persons who will be licensed this year will receive their license at Annual Conference during the Ordering of Ministry Service on Saturday, June 18 at 7:30 p.m. in Stuart Auditorium, Lake Junaluska. Family and friends are invited.
- Tuesday, June 21, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Leadership in a New Context
- Tuesday, July 5, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Licensed Ministry
- Tuesday, July 12, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Personal Clergy Finance
- Tuesday, July 26, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Church Administration
- Tuesday, Aug. 9, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Charge Conference and Statistical Reporting
- Tuesday, Aug. 23, 6:00 Check-in and Connect+ 6:30 Communications and Conference Resources
- Tuesday, September 6, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Church Vitality Toolbox
- Tuesday, September 20, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Engaging in Mission
- Tuesday, October 4, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Equipping Laity
- Tuesday, October 18, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Church Stewardship and Finances
- Tuesday, November 1, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Change and Conflict
- Tuesday, November 8, 6:00 Check-in and Connect + 6:30 Justice, Equity, and Inclusion
- Cost: $50 paid by credit/debit card at registration
- Participants will also be required to complete the online Ministry in Ethics training or provide a copy of certification of completion of a previous introductory ethics course related to the practice of ministry. Participants from other denominations may be required to complete additional United Methodist courses. (full completion required by June 30, 2022)
- If not already on file with WNCC, participants will also be required to submit required documents including a medical evaluation, psychological evaluation, and I-9 with supporting documents. You will receive email communication from Adri Bullard-Rogers with more instruction.
- Failure to fully and successfully complete O2M, participate in all sessions, submit required documents, and meet all specified deadlines will be noted in your file and may result in disqualification for future appointments at the discretion of the bishop and cabinet.
A program handbook with more detailed information will be included in the registration confirmation email.
Participants required to attend all of Licensing School should complete the Licensing School registration only. If you are uncertain about which one to register for, please contact your District Office for clarification.
Questions about the program should be directed to Kim Ingram at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-714-2354. Questions about registration should be directed to Adri Bullard-Rogers at email@example.com or 704-714-2342.