Orientation to Ministry
- Orientation to Ministry (O2M) is for all persons coming under first-time appointment in Western North Carolina on July 1, 2021, since the last O2M was offered, or since July 1, 2020. It will provide an orientation to ministry in the Western North Carolina Conference by preparing participants for effective ministry in a new setting and encouraging collegial relationships. This year Orientation to Ministry will be offered virtually through Zoom. All participants must have a computer, stable internet connection, and a webcam for participation.
- Cost: $50 paid by card at registration
- Schedule: All Sessions are 7:00-9:00 p.m. EST by Zoom (click button below for a PDF of the schedule)
- Monday, May 24: Understanding Health and Pension Benefits
- Monday, June 21: Introductions and Collegial Connections and Church Vitality Toolbox
- Monday, June 28: Personal Clergy Finance and Licensed Ministry
- Monday, July 19: Engaging in Mission and Equipping Laity
- Monday, July 26: Charge Conference and Statistical Reporting
- Monday, August 9: Leadership in a New Context and Change and Conflict
- Monday, August 16: Church Stewardship and Finances and Church Administration
- Participants will also be required to complete the online Ministry in Ethics training or provide a copy of certification of completion of a previous introductory ethics course related to the practice of ministry. Participants from other denominations may be required to complete additional United Methodist courses.
- If not already on file with WNCC, participants will also be required to submit required documents including a medical evaluation, psychological evaluation, and I-9 with supporting documents. You will receive email communication from Adri Bullard-Rogers with more instruction.
- Failure to fully and successfully complete O2M, participate in all sessions, submit required documents, and meet all specified deadlines will be noted in your file and may result in disqualification for future appointments at the discretion of the bishop and cabinet.
A program handbook with more detailed information will be included in the registration confirmation email.
Participants required to attend all of Licensing School should complete the Licensing School registration only. If you are uncertain about which one to register for, please contact your District Office for clarification.
Questions about the program should be directed to Kim Ingram at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-714-2354. Questions about registration should be directed to Adri Bullard-Rogers at email@example.com or 704-714-2342.