Hurricane Disaster Response
September 20, 2018
Following Hurricane Michael and Hurricane Florence, here are ways you can respond. The Western North Carolina Conference Committee on Relief continues to monitor the damages and will provide updates on Conference response efforts. For more information, visit www.wnccumc.org/committee-on-relief.
Donate funds to relief efforts
Your gifts ensure that our conference will be able to provide help and hope for those left homeless or otherwise affected by disaster for years to come. Please mark your donations for Western North Carolina teams and ministries as “Disaster Response,“ and make checks payable to:
Western North Carolina Conference
PO Box 2757
Huntersville, NC 28070
Assemble UMCOR relief supply kits
- Follow UMCOR’s relief kit assembly instructions online.
- We suggest every church has 12 cleaning kits ready and available.
Disaster Response Volunteers
Conference Early Response Teams (ERT) are trained, credentialed and registered through the Disaster Response Ministry of the conference.
- Contact Conference Disaster Response Coordinator Ricky Hill to report damages within the Western North Carolina Conference.
- ERT Work in Western NC: Early Response Teams will be notified for deployment by the District or Conference Coordinator(s), if needed.
- ERT Work in other Conferences: Invitations to aid outside our conference will be communicated to you as they arrive in our office. Sometimes they are also available at UMVIM.
- Groups or individuals wishing to help sort mission materials or volunteer in the Mission Response Center should contact Dwaine Morgan at 828.478.2106.
For general disaster response questions, Early Response Team deployment or to report a disaster within the Western North Carolina Conference, contact Disaster Response Coordinator Ricky Hill.
For public information, grant information, UMCOR relations, policy and procedures, contact Committee on Relief Chair, Rev. Steve Cheyney or Conference staff contact Caroline Wood.
For training or resource distribution, contact Mission Operations Coordinator Frank Greene.