General Conference Update
February 27, 2019
Delegates to the Special Session of General Conference approved the Traditional plan that affirms church policies on homosexuality and strengthens enforcement by a vote of 438 to 384. Several petitions included in this vote were ruled unconstitutional by our Judicial Council, so the full implications of this decision are not yet known. The General Conference then voted to request a declaratory decision by the Judicial Council on the constitutionality of the petitions passed. The motion passed 405-395. The Judicial Council will review this request at its next scheduled meeting on April 23-25.
We know that some are pleased with this outcome and others are saddened and in deep pain. Let us show love and care toward one another as a visible witness that ALL people are valued and of sacred worth.
On Friday, March 1, Bishop Leeland and the leaders of our Western North Carolina delegation, Jennifer Davis and Kim Ingram, will share a video message to our Conference on what happened and what’s next.
Bishop Leeland will also gather with our districts for a time of worship and Holy Communion in March and April.
- March 3, 1:30 p.m. at First UMC Hendersonville – Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountain Districts
- March 10, 2:00 p.m. at Assurance UMC in Huntersville – Metro District
- March 16, 10:00 a.m. at Main Street UMC Kernersville – Northern Piedmont and Yadkin Valley Districts
- March 31, 3:00 p.m. at St. Luke’s UMC in Hickory – Catawba Valley and Appalachian Districts
- April 6, 10:00 a.m. at Central UMC in Albemarle – Uwharrie District