Certificate for Church Treasurers
January 27, 2021
By: Treasury Services
The Conference Office of Treasury Services and the United Methodist Foundation of Western North Carolina will offer a certificate training program for United Methodist volunteer treasurers within our conference. Dr. Mark King and Rev. David Snipes will lead the four-session program on March 20, 27, April 17 and 24, from 10 am – 3 pm. Registration is open now and space is limited. Questions? Reach Mark King at email@example.com or David Snipes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose: To serve Western North Carolina Conference local church volunteer treasurers by offering a training school with curriculum and experience monitoring that leads to certification as a Certified Church Treasurer.
- Commitment to integrity and fiduciary responsibility for church financial management
- Understanding of sound financial practices and controls of accounting from the perspective of GAAP and the UMC Book of Discipline
- Comprehension of the United Methodist apportionment system and funding
- Conversant with clergy compensation, taxation and benefits
- Knowledge of resources and networks for further training and support
- Exposure to church legal, property, insurance and tax issues relevant to local church financial management.
The CTP will be jointly offered and operated under the direction of the WNCC Treasury Services and the United Methodist Foundation of WNC. Endorsed by the WNCC Board of Laity.
Dr. Mark King, Conference Treasurer
Rev. David Snipes, Executive Director, UMFWNC
Guest personnel from across the UMC Connection
$25 registration fee for each attendee
Sessions limited to a maximum registration of 25 persons.
Program and Curriculum
Four Days: Accounting; Stewardship; Legal & Tax; and United Methodism, 5 hours each (10 am – 3 pm)
Target audience: Local church volunteer lay treasurers
Elected by Charge Conference
Commitment to four weekend session attendance
Recommended by Pastors in charge
|Accounting Structure||Annual Giving||Property Issues||UMC Structure|
|Financial Statements||Designated & Capital Giving||Insurance||Book of Discipline|
|Income & Receivables||Planned Giving||Legal||Organizational|
|Expenses & Payables / Payroll||Budgeting||Clergy Comp & Benefits||Apportionments|
|Fund Balance & Designated Accounts||Cash Management||Tax||Reporting & Forms|
Each track ends with a simple quiz/exam of no more than 10-15 questions covering material.
Completion of all four tracks within one year
Recognition with certificate “suitable for framing” at Annual Conference