Does your congregation have rights to unclaimed property?

July 29, 2020

Did you know that the State of North Carolina has a website that lists unclaimed property- bank accounts, wages, utility deposits, insurance policy proceeds, stocks, bonds, etc.? When a company loses track of the consumer, they become unclaimed. By law, the funds are turned over to the Department of the State Treasurer for safekeeping.  A good number of our United Methodist Churches are listed as the owner for many of these unclaimed properties. You can access the website to see if your church may have some funds owed to your congregation. The website is You will need the church’s tax identification number (EIN) and the person filing the claim must have authority to sign for the church in matters of finances or property. Once a claim is filed, paperwork will need to be submitted. It takes about 90 days to receive a claim.

Administration ENews