Seeking Youth and Young Adults for Jurisdictional Pools
November 19, 2015
One of the ways that Young People's Ministries supports the life of our connectional church is by assembling a "free agent" type pool of young people that the boards of general agencies can draw upon to meet age and ethnicity diversity guidelines. In advance of General and Jurisdictional Conferences, we are collecting applications from youth and young adults across the US, and we could use your help spreading the word! Please share this link within your networks. Applications are encouraged by the end of 2015.
- Each United States Jurisdiction may create a ‘Jurisdictional Pool’ of up to 10 youth and 10 young adults (total of 20 people per jurisdiction) who are available to UMC agencies to meet age-specific diversity suggestions.
- Information of the applicants in the Jurisdictional Pool will be provided to Jurisdictional Conferences, where election to UMC agency boards often takes place.
- Those elected by Jurisdictional Conference will need to complete a separate application at the time of their election.
- If more than 10 youth or 10 young adults apply to the pool from a single jurisdiction, Young People’s Ministries staff will be responsible for reducing the number of applicants to 10 of each in that jurisdiction.
- Inclusion in the Jurisdictional Pool provides a chance to serve on an Agency’s Board, but there are usually less than 20 spots to fill.
- Application should be submitted by November 30, 2015.
- Youth applicants must be between the ages of 12-18 years old as of July 31, 2016.
- Young Adult Applicants must be between the ages of 18-30 as of July 31, 2016.
- Active in the United Methodist Church.
- Ability to commit to a 4-year term serving an agency of the UMC.
- Ability to travel to annual (and sometimes more frequent) meetings scheduled by the agency.