The Western North Carolina Conference is excited to share a new resource for individuals and groups whose churches are disaffiliating, yet they wish to remain United Methodist, and for congregations who have a desire to welcome, love, and nurture these persons.
Lighthouse Congregations are a part of the UM Collective Movement in the Western NC Conference. These congregations are particularly equipped to welcome anyone whose church has closed or disaffiliated. If you find yourself in these circumstances, we first want you to know that we see you. We love you. And we will help guide you. A Lighthouse Congregation is a United Methodist faith community that will serve as a resting place with people who will care for you while providing a haven of peace and grace. Whether you are an individual or a group of people who have become displaced or churchless because of closing or disaffiliation, Lighthouse Congregations will be there for you during this difficult time.
If your church has affirmed their desire to remain United Methodist, and would like to be equipped to serve as a Lighthouse Congregation for those who also wish to remain United Methodist in your community. The first step is to complete the Informational/Equipping online training. Access those here. (You'll have to login to the Resource Center platform to access.) If you want more information at this time, please reach out to your District Superintendent.
Steps To Become a Lighthouse Congregation
1. Review the Lighthouse Congregation description at the button above.
2. Complete the Online Training for the Lighthouse Info and Equipping Training:
- Pastor(s) and at least 2 lay leaders must attend
- Equipping is free
3. Present the Lighthouse Church Resolution to the Church Council (or church governing body)
- Pass the Resolution by a simple majority.
- Record action in the official minutes.
4. Register online as a Lighthouse Congregation.
5. Receive confirmation from your District Superintendent.
6. Notify your congregation and your community.
7. Begin living into the responsibilities as a Lighthouse Congregation.
There is a much more detailed description and the responsibilities for Lighthouse Congregations that are shared at the Info/Equipping.