Director of Development
Director of Development, UNC Wesley Campus Ministry
½ Time Position
Position Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Campus Minister/Executive Director
Relates To: Board of Directors, Advisory Council, Development Committee and Subcommittees
Job Summary: The Director of Development supports the leadership of UNC Wesley Campus Ministry, the United Methodist Church’s outreach to students of UNC-Chapel Hill. Duties include managing and expanding UNC Wesley’s Annual Fund and Legacy Endowment Funds; as well as weekly, monthly and annual tasks including but not limited to: communications and outreach to friends/donors/alumni; stewardship and acknowledgement of donations; event management for outreach, donor stewardship, and fundraising; maintaining the development-related files and the donor database; prospect management, cultivation and solicitations to benefit WCM; and board development, committee support, training and management. The Director of Development works with the Campus Minister/Executive Director, staff and volunteers of WCM.
WCM is an organization of over 50 regularly active UNC students with a strong support base of over 75 years of alumni and friends. During Fiscal Year 2022, WCM raised over $300,000 from contributions from 427 giving units to the Annual Fund and Legacy Endowment Funds, grants and fundraising events.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree, a preferred minimum of three years prior development experience as well as non-profit and/or faith-based experience. Proficiency using fundraising software such as Access and BlackBaud databases to manage donor/finance information (WCM currently utilizes Little Green Light) and Word, Excel and PowerPoint is necessary.
A successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; be highly organized and detail oriented; be able to consistently meet deadlines, prioritize tasks and function independently or as an active team member; work well in a respectful and collaborative environment; and be able to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Development plan and goals: in coordination with other members of the WCM team, maintains calendar and deadlines as related to fundraising for Annual Fund, Legacy Endowment Funds, Advisory Council, major gifts, planned giving, events and donor stewardship.
• Stewardship and reporting: communication of development progress at monthly meetings with Campus Minister/Executive Director and at meetings of the Board of Directors (4-6 meetings annually), responsible for organizing and creating an Annual Report of metrics and successes and providing communication on social media outlets for outreach and fundraising.
• Database, correspondence and reporting: ensures current gifts and individual notes related to donors and friends are kept up to date in database. Processes donation correspondence and executes Thank You program in a timely fashion. Organizes all development-related mailings and email campaigns.
• Events and volunteer management: coordinates and executes events specifically related to donors/development, especially with regard to community-building to engage alumni, friends and donors. Encourages, recruits and manages the development and volunteer committees for the events. Coordinates and assists in solicitation of in-kind goods/services in support of WCM.
• Donor cultivation, solicitation and management: assists and guides the Campus Minister/Executive Director, Board leadership and volunteers with one-on-one donor identification, cultivation, funding requests and stewardship. Must be able to prioritize needs, interest and engagement of donors; must be able to follow up in a timely and appropriate manner with calls, visits, emails and events.
Please submit cover letter, résumé, a writing sample requesting support for a non-profit organization and references (preferably from one supervisor and one colleague) to Wesley Campus Ministry, Director of Development Position. Email application by Wednesday, June 7, 2023 to: email@example.com (Please no phone calls.)
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, political belief, or disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions.
Contact: Ryan Spurrier
Church/Org/Business Name: UNC Wesley Campus Ministry
Address: 201 E Rosemary St, Ste 100 Chapel Hill NC 27243
Email: Click to email