Director of Music/Accompanist for Traditional Worship: Skyland UMC, Asheville, NC
Duties and Responsibilities for Director of Music/Accompanist for Traditional Worship at Skyland UMC (as of May 2023)
- Report directly to the Senior Pastor
- Music Ministry
- Direct and simultaneously accompany Chancel Choir on piano and/or organ.
- Direct Handbell Choirs (this functional makeup changes each year with influx of participants, basically providing ringing opportunities for ages 3 grade -adult))
- Skyland Ringers (adult)
- Joy Bells (youth 7-12 grade)
- Children’s Chimes (3rd-6th grade)
- Direct Children’s Choir(s) and offer other youth/child music programming.
- Supervise and collaborate with Music Ministry volunteers who help on a weekly basis.
- Organize, rehearse, and direct orchestral groups for special large works with various choirs.
- Encourage, direct, and accompany solo and ensemble musicians (both vocal and instrumental) for special services and seasons (e.g. Ash Wednesday, Tenebrae, Christmas Eve, etc) and weekly worship
- Explore the youth/adult instrumental resources found in our congregation to offer an orchestral Sunday with Intergenerational focus when enough participants are interested.
- Offer special music programs like piano duo concert and/or piano & organ duo concert.
- Author worship service liturgies, prayers, and musical settings for worship events as needed.
- Coordinate regular tuning and maintenance of organ and 4 pianos.
- Coordinate regular maintenance, cleaning, and repair of four handbell octaves, one four octave set of chimes, and two three octave sets of chimes.
- In conjunction with pastoral and education staff, plan weekly worship music and assist drafting and reviewing bulletins.
- Attend staff meetings and worship planning meetings and keep regular office hours.
- Prepare and maintain Music Ministry Budget
- Act as staff representative on Worship Committee
- Accompany funerals, memorial services, and weddings on organ/piano as needed.
- Provide music support for other staff and programs as needed.
- Weekly Worship
- Traditional Service (11:00 am)
- Play all related worship music (organ and piano)
- Direct and accompany Chancel Choir
- Provide staff support to worship leaders.
- Current Service (9:00 am)
- Occasionally play with praise band/lead worship on a substitute basis - as needed and as other service duties allow.
- Periodically lead Bell/Chime/Youth choirs during Contemporary Service
- Traditional Service (11:00 am)
All staff must pass a background check and drug screen.
A committed believer who sets a Christian example in the performance of assigned duties.
The incumbent in this position will reflect the following components of Skyland United Methodist Church’s mission which is: to lead people into a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ, to love God with passion, to grow together in community, and to serve the world with love.
Master’s degree in music
Experience Directing comprehensive church music programs including chancel choir, children’s music programming, handbell, and chime programs.
Ability to accompany (on piano and/or organ) and simultaneously direct choirs, solo and ensemble musicians.
Organizational skills to manage and maintain pianos, organ, handbells, chimes, and other musical instruments.
Organizational skills to manage and maintain accurate records of musical presentations to include all copyright and legal requirements.
Organizational skills to maintain all relevant subscriptions and copyright permissions for music programming.
Ability to recruit and maintain volunteers for various music program activities.
Ability to collaborate and coordinate with church staff, choir, musicians, and others.
Ability to coordinate music programs for children and youth.
• The incumbent reports to Senior Pastor
• The incumbent is employed by Skyland United Methodist Church and is ultimately responsible to the Staff-Parish committee relative to job performance and related matters.
Anticipated start date August 13, 2023
Submit resume and letter of application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Rev. Joe Tarpley
Church/Org/Business Name: Skyland United Methodist Church
Address: 1984 Hendersonville Road Asheville NC 28803
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view