Church Business Administrator
Church Business Administrator
Mount Tabor United Methodist Church, Inc.
3543 Robinhood Rd., Winston-Salem, NC 27106
The Church Business Administrator position requires an appreciation for and in-depth understanding of the special needs of the business and financial sides of a large church operation. This position requires interaction with the Clergy, Staff Program Coordinators and a diverse and ever-changing group of chairpersons from a variety of committees acting for the wellbeing and advancement of the Church. This individual must possess financial, personnel, and business skills required to successfully complete the job requirements.
The person in this position must be willing to be flexible with their work hours. This is a full-time 35 to 40 hour per week position but the hours and days worked may be different each week based on the requirements of the week’s workload.
This position also acts as a staff liaison to a number of church committees in order to assist them with the financial and business aspects of the work of their committee. This brings continuity and stability to these committees for financial and business details, as the Chairpersons and committee members change on an annual basis.
This position requires the management and reporting of confidential financial data including information on individual church member’s monetary contributions. It also requires the ability to interact with members of the congregation in order to assist them with a myriad of financial topics and questions.
- Two-year Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Four to five years’ experience as a Church Financial Administrator or Church Business Administrator with financial responsibilities preferred.
- Experience in preparing financial reports, and budgets within a church environment preferred.
- Must possess excellent computer skills with experience in using church financial reporting software as well as be highly proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, and Excel.
- Must possess exceptional organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Prefer knowledge of the United Methodist Church and its policies and traditions as they relate to managing the financial aspects of the organization.
Church Business Administrator Responsibilities:
- Attend Quarterly Church Council meetings as well as the meetings of the other committees they support such as the Finance Committee which will be after normal business hours.
- Manage the money counters that work each Monday to open, record, balance and report all contributions and other receipts. Train new money counters and maintain backup personnel as needed.
- Review reports of contributions and input/post to individual member’s contribution records or appropriate General Ledger account on a weekly basis.
- Quarterly balance and prepare contribution statements for all members and insert and mail with a quarterly report letter from Finance Committee Chair or Senior Pastor
- Review and obtain approval for invoices; pay invoices, posting the expense to appropriate General Ledger account.
- Review and obtain approval and pay purchase order requests from staff and members for purchases and reimbursements for items already purchased.
- For new employees, obtain all required documentation for tax withholding, I-9 status certification, ACH deposit forms, Safe Sanctuary background checks, Safety Policy Manual and Conflict of interest acceptance and receipt as well as drug testing.
- Keep all staff payroll files current with pay status, pension eligibility, hours worked for hourly workers, vacation time accrued and taken, payroll tax deduction information and ACH bank deposit information.
- Calculate and process semi-monthly payroll with ACH Direct Deposit to employees’ bank accounts and ACH advice to the employee.
- Balance and make Federal and State withholding tax deposits for all Church employees. Include the information from PreSchool and School Care in the report and deposit the funds received from the schools for payment to IRS and State.
- Quarterly balance the payroll accounts and tax deposits and complete the 941 Federal and the NC-5Q State report of taxes withheld.
- Annually balance individual employee wages and tax withholding to Federal and State numbers and prepare individual W-2’s or 1099-NEC for all employees and vendors. Also prepare and file appropriate copies of these forms with Federal and State tax authorities.
- Balance monthly bank statement and post entries to appropriate General Ledger account in conjunction with preparation of monthly reports for Finance Committee.
- Prepare monthly reports for all invested funds updated with current balances on deposit at the United Methodist Foundation.
- Maintain principal sheets for General Endowment Trust Fund (GETF) and Cemetery Endowment Trust Fund (CETF).
- Provide weekly pledge and financial receipts information to Office Administrator for Tabor Talk with a copy to the Chair of Finance, the Senior Pastor, and Digital Media Coordinator.
- Handle all aspects of the Church Building loan including posting and tracking contributions, making loan payments and working with the Finance Committee, as necessary.
- Monthly review, balance and process each staff members’ VISA expense report, ensuring propriety of expenditures and that it has been charged to correct budget line item. Pay the VISA bill when all reports have been reconciled and post to GL.
- Using church sales tax information and recaps received from Pre-School and School Care, prepare the required semi-annual reports for the State of North Carolina to obtain a refund of this sales tax.
- Manage operational relationships with all banks and brokers that have checking accounts, credit cards, investments or loans for the church Finance and Investment Committees.
- Annually work with the Audit Committee to create reports, documents, payroll listings and reports of receipts and disbursements as well as all Investment Committee transactions for them to perform the audit of all church finances as required by the Conference. This report is presented annually to the Charge Conference of the church in November.
- Prepare the Financial Reports portion of the Pastor’s Annual Report to the Conference each January.
- Prepare the Clergy Compensation Forms, including any clergy salary reduction items, for review and acceptance at the annual Charge Conference.
- Review monthly any uncashed checks to follow-up with payee to replace check if lost or reissue.
- Handle record retention of all documents, reports, cancelled checks, etc., in accordance with the Record Retention Schedule of the WNCC. This includes moving boxes of documents to storage and preparing items that can be destroyed for shredding on an annual basis.
- Other duties as required by the Senior Pastor and/or Finance Committee Chair.
- For new employees, obtain all required documentation for tax withholding, I-9 status certification, ACH deposit forms, Safe Sanctuary background checks, Safety Policy Manual and Conflict of interest acceptance and receipt as well as assisting them with completion of their drug testing.
- Manage Pension Plan with Wespath. This includes providing eligible employees with pension documentation folder and sign-up forms, forwarding the completed forms to Wespath and processing monthly deductions for employee contributions to payroll module. When there is a salary change or an employee leaves, send appropriate change notices to Wespath. Monthly review and pay pension invoice.
- Manage relationship with Wells Fargo Bank for VISA cards for staff. Includes processing requests for new cards, changes to card spending limits approved by Finance Committee, discontinuance of cards for staff that leave the church and resolving issues with charges on statements.
- Serve as an HR contact for employees with day-to-day questions about Pension, payroll issues, vacation eligibility, and interpretation of Employee Handbook, Conflict of Interest Policy, and Safety Policy.
- The Church Business Administrator reports to the Senior Pastor and works under the direction of the Finance Committee and Staff Parish Relations Committee
Salary & Hours
- Annual salary range of $48,000 to $53,000 depending on experience and education
- Full-time, salaried position (35 to 40 hours per week)
- 8 paid holidays
- 10 Sick/Personal days annually
- Annual Paid Vacation
- 2 weeks (10 workdays) for 1-5 years of service (prorated during first year of employment based upon hire date)
- 3 weeks (15 workdays) for 6-10 years of service
- 4 weeks (20 workdays) for 11+ years of service
- A Supplemental Income payment of $5,513 annually is paid at a rate of 1/12 monthly to be used at the employee’s discretion
- This benefit will begin upon employment
- A 6% contribution is provided by the church.
- The employee may contribute additional funds if they choose.
- This benefit begins the first of the month after completion of 90 days of employment.
Please Note: The church will run a background and criminal check as well as require a drug test prior to employment.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND PROCEDURES
Full job description, details and a Mount Tabor Job Application are located at:
The job application can be downloaded, completed, and saved as an attachment for email. A copy of your resume is also required. Email attachments should include first and last name in any file name you create.
Email application package (completed application and resume) to:email@example.com
Contact John Kearns 336.918.3944 with any questions about the application process.
Application Packages are now being accepted, and the posting will remain open until filled.
Contact: John Kearns
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Tabor UMC
Address: 3543 Robinhood Rd Winston-Salem NC 27106
Email: Click to email