Music Director / Organist for Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church (Asheville, NC)
Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church, located in Asheville NC, is seeking a dynamic and passionate Music Director/Organist to lead our music ministry as we continue to grow and prayerfully follow where God is leading us in our next chapter of ministry. We are a traditional, yet casual, warm, and friendly congregation, who values the sacred worth and dignity of each person. We are a Reconciling (LGBTQ+ Affirming) Congregation, committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all people.
As our Music Director/Organist, you will be responsible for leading our choir and providing musical accompaniment for our worship services. You will also be foundational in helping to shape our music ministry and incorporate your own gifts and creativity. We are looking for someone who is able to lead with a strong sense of purpose and passion, while also being able to connect with our congregation and build relationships.
We understand the importance of music in connecting people to God, and we are excited to see the gifts, creativity, and leadership that the right person will bring to this role. We are committed to supporting and investing in the growth of our Music Director/Organist, and we look forward to seeing how God will use them to lead our music ministry in the years to come. If you're excited about the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a community that is growing and changing, and you're passionate about music and worship, we would love explore this opportunity with you!
1. Degree in music or equivalent experience and demonstrated proficiency, knowledge of liturgical and sacred music, willingness to learn and innovate.
2. Proficiency in playing the organ and piano.
Primary Job Responsibilities
1. Plan and lead music at the 11:00 AM worship service on Sunday mornings and other special services.
2. Plan and rehearse with the Adult Choir and any special music used in the worship service.
3. Work alongside the pastor to create dynamic worship through the selection of music; work with technicians to establish proper balance of sound; and utilize the resources of our annual music budget.
4. Attend regular worship planning meetings, assist pastor and other staff in the recruitment of church members to become part of the music ministry
5. Suggest additional opportunities for music performance and music education opportunities for our congregation.
6. Perform other related tasks as may be requested from time to time.
An average of 20 hours per week of work time is anticipated. Work hours include time spent in rehearsals, practice, planning, Sunday morning worship and additional work to grow and recruit for our music ministry.
- Flexible schedule
- 15 Days of PTO
- Continuing Education resources for growth and development.
- Ability to use church facilities for private lessons
If you would like to explore this opportunity or ask additional questions please send your resume / questions to:
Rev. Jeff McCumber
We look forward to growing and experiencing ministry with you!
Contact: Jeff McCumber
Church/Org/Business Name: Asbury Memorial UMC
Address: 171 Beaverdam Rd Asheville NC 28804
Phone: (828) 253-0765
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view