Administrative Assistant Job Description
Reports to: Pastor
Relates Directly With: Staff Parish Relations Chair, Director of Music, and the Leadership Team
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Full-time/Part-time: Part-tinte (20 hours)
This is a permanent part-time paid staff position within the administrative structure of Simpson-Gillespie United Methodist Church under the guide of the local Staff Parish Relations Committee. The pastor of the church gives direct supervision and consultation with the SPPR Committee regarding its effectiveness. The position requires an efficient clerical office and computer management, and ongoing evaluation for improvements in day-to-day operations. The position requires the ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality with regards to church and congregational matters. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent proficiency in the office skills listed below, as well as demonstrating a high level of interpersonal skills in order to maintain a caring and sensitive atmosphere representative of the local church.
RELATIONSHIP AND ACCOUNTABILITY
The Church Administrative Assistant is accountable to the Pastor in matters pertaining to their responsibilities at Simpson-Gillespie United Methodist Church (SGUMC). Job performance, salary, and benefits are reviewed annually by the Pastor in consultation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Prepare the church newsletter for electronic and hard-copy publication monthly and supervise volunteers in bulk mailing process
- Prepare materials for worship (i.e. bulletins, worship slides, announcement inserts) for worship and other events as needed
- Assist in minor updates to the church website.
- Contact designated staff and or lay persons when church members are ill or have other crises
- Prepare and send electronic newsletters of upcoming events, prayer concerns and other needed information
- Send out phone tree messages and emails as requested
- Send emails and or hard copy announcements as requested
- Work with staff and committee leadership in preparing brochures, special booklets and mailings and other communication materials as requested
- Work with Membership Secretary to keep SGUMC membership roll up to date in Power Church software and in the roll book. Write letters for the transfer of membership when necessary.
- Keep membership addresses and other pertinent data up-to-date in software, email software, and phone tree list.
Calendaring and Scheduling Duties
- Maintain the church and pastor calendars, keeping them up to date with all internal and external events noting date of event.
- Answer phone and take messages for church staff using duplicate message book.
- Make copies and prepare mailings as requested by staff and church leadership.
- Work with pastors and the SPPRC to recruit volunteers to cover office responsibilities while absent due to illness, vacation, or personal time.
- Volunteers should be secured early enough so they can be trained.
- Process and distribute all incoming and outgoing mail.
- Provide administrative and office support for other projects as assigned by the Pastor, including Charge Conference and end of year reports.
- Maintain office equipment to include, but not limited to, copier, folding machine, paper cutter, telephone system, and computer systems.
- Maintain an adequate supply of office resources available for staff and lay leaders such as SGUMC stationary & envelopes, white copy paper, colored copy paper, copier toner, tape, scissors, envelopes, pens/pencils, markers, and stamps.
- Work with Pastor to secure training on computer hardware and software so that the office can provide support to staff and volunteers.
- Work with Pastor to secure training on phone system and phone tree software so that the office can provide support to staff and volunteers.
- Keep Office Procedure Book current and up-to-date
- Maintain filing system of church information (including church meeting minutes) in an orderly manner
- Maintain orderly and current computer files and backup of computer system files
- Maintain a clean and orderly office environment.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), some college preferred.
- Two to five years of related experience and/or training preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as church literature and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively to members of the church family, visitors, and co-workers.
- Proficient use of core products in the Microsoft Suite: MS Word word-processing software, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Canva
- Ability to use and access web applications and other data-management software.
- Ability to find and learn how to use new software and web-based applications to support ministries of SGUMC
- Person must be able to keep a HIGH level of confidentiality regarding the information that is processed through the church office
- Ability to maintain an organized office and filing system.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Person must act calmly under stress, maintain a pleasant attitude when dealing with the public, and be able to promote to building of the Kingdom of God through their work.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Contact: Darryl Dayson
Church/Org/Business Name: Simpson-Gillespie United Methodist Church
Address: 3545 Beatties Ford Rd. Charlotte NC 28216
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view