Coordinator of Children/Youth Ministries
Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries
Groce United Methodist Church
“A Church Beyond Walls” is Groce UMC’s unofficial mission statement. It refers to the work that church members carry into the community through a variety of ministries and programs that range from feeding the hungry in the community to providing shelter to the homeless, helping Veterans who sacrificed so much, to teenage members going on missions to help the less fortunate.
The Children & Youth Coordinator works to develop and implement programs and ministries for children of all ages, their families, and the community.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions (including but not limited to):
• Youth Group: Plan and implement weekly Sunday night youth group program including games, education, conversation, and a meal. Plan and organize 2 – 3 Youth Sunday programs annually. Plan and organize 5 – 6 local youth service projects annually.
• Mission Trips: Research, plan, and implement summer mission trip for junior and senior high youth including recruiting volunteers and organizing travel arrangements.
• Youth Retreats: Research, plan, and implement 1 to 2 youth retreats annually with
assistance from volunteers.
• Confirmation: Work with pastoral staff to implement annual confirmation classes for 6th – 8th graders.
• Sunday School: Plan, organize, and oversee Sunday School for children including planning curriculum and teaching classes (when needed).
• Vacation Bible School: plan, and oversee annual VBS program with church
staff and volunteers. Prepare VBS theme and curriculum.
• Engage in open communication with youth, parents, and volunteers on a regular basis. • Abide by and uphold Groce UMC Safe Sanctuaries policies and procedures.
• Offer training and educational opportunities for volunteers.
• Work with Finance Committee to plan and submit annual budget requests and monitor
• Plan and lead fundraising events for children and youth mission trips, programs, and
service projects including annual pumpkin patch youth fundraiser.
Shared Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Recruit, train, and maintain volunteers.
• Participate in Church leadership, planning, and decisions.
• Work with church staff and volunteers in the planning, organization, and implementing
of church community programs including Spring Fling, Fall Festival, Trunk-or-Treat, etc. • Work closely with church staff in the planning, goal setting, and financial responsibilities of the church.
• Attend and participate in ministry team meetings.
• Attend and participate in other church meetings as needed.
This part-time, non-exempt position regularly requires 16 to 20 hours per week including
weekends and some evenings. Mission Trip, VBS, and other annual events will require
additional hours. Pay rate is $24 per hour; part-time staff is eligible for PTO and holiday pay.
Safe Sanctuary certification required. The Children & Youth Coordinator reports to Pastoral Staff.
The ideal candidate will have an active Christian faith and a passion for working with children and teens and have an ability to communicate and relate easily and authentically to children and youth and their parents. Candidates should be able to recruit, train, and organize volunteers, have strong oral and written communication skills, have a spirit of flexibility and humor, and have a good knowledge of the Methodist theology and work within the Methodist traditions.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org This position is available beginning November 1st.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Contact: Gerald Davis
Address: 954 Tunnel Road Asheville 28805
Email: Click to email