Director/Pastor of Discipleship Ministries
Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church is an historical, multigenerational congregation located in the rapidly growing community of Sherrills Ford, North Carolina, on the northwest edge of Lake Norman. The greater metro area of Charlotte has now reached this area and we are positioning ourselves to continue serving the community into our 3rd century with all the people who are beginning to call this place “home.” Tying together the best values of our past and strength of the congregation in the present, we are seeking a staff person who can help build a strong ministry for the future.
The Director/Pastor of Discipleship Ministries will foster an atmosphere that is welcoming for all ages, stages, and forms of families in our community, with the primary focus of inviting, teaching, equipping, leading, and making disciples of Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). The emphasis will be on building faith and leadership teams among the laity.
This full-time position works under direct supervision of the Pastor and is overseen by the Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee (SPRC). This staff member will oversee ministry of the church from birth through adults, working closely with church staff (Pastor, Music Director, Church Administrator, Preschool and Study Buddies staff) and volunteer children’s ministry, youth ministry, young adult ministry, adult ministry, and older adult ministry team leaders.
- A deep personal faith in Jesus Christ that is growing and sustained by spiritual practices.
- United Methodist theological beliefs and ability to lead others in Wesleyan perspectives.
- Organized and effective leader who can recruit and equip laity for servant ministry.
- Ability to facilitate spiritual growth opportunities emphasizing involvement in worship, small groups, and service/missions.
- Experience with and desire to work collaboratively for developing team ministry.
- Experience in church ministry, especially discipleship development.
- Excellent communication skills to keep parents, children, youth, and congregation current on all activities.
- Minimum college degree in ministry or related field
- Master’s level education is preferred
- Ordained Deacon or candidate is preferred, but experience and best fit for the congregation is most important.
Skills/Abilities - Have proven leadership skills utilizing a cooperative, collaborative team leadership style and have the ability to build and foster relationships with all ages and stages of life. Efficiently develop and execute plans in a timely manner. Genuinely demonstrate care and concern for all members of the church and community. Ensure timely, effective implementation of children and youth ministries, seeking opportunities with the preschool, afterschool (Study Buddies), scouts, and other groups who are present on our campus. Work well with families, lay leadership, and staff. Ability and willingness to help the church develop an online ministry that both connects the congregation and reaches beyond our campus to new persons.
Personal Characteristics - Be servant-minded with a heart for ministry. Must demonstrate a strong work ethic, be outgoing and be able to communicate with all ages. Reliable, trustworthy, self-starter with the ability to embrace innovation and creativity while adapting to growth and change. Must possess the ability to use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality. Must be able to communicate well with a wide variety of people of all ages and backgrounds. Be flexible enough to work with staff, congregation, and community groups using church facilities throughout the week in order to uphold the mission of the church.
Experience Required - A background in Christian Education, Discipleship, and/or Spiritual Formation.
Please send resume or inquiries to:
Rev. Jonathan Brake
Contact: Rev. Jonathan Brake
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Pleasant UMC
Address: 4136 Mount Pleasant Road Sherrills Ford 28673
Email: Click to email