Director of Discipleship
Director of Discipleship
Central United Methodist Church, a multigenerational congregation located on the historic court square of Shelby, North Carolina, is committed to growing with and serving our community. Our unique position at the center of Uptown Shelby, which is revitalized around art, music and thriving local businesses, allows our congregation to reach our community in unique and dynamic ways, sharing the love of Christ in a changing world.
Initiate, coordinate and sustain spiritual development ministries of Central United Methodist Church with an emphasis on developing laity leadership.
● Deep, personal faith in Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love and serve God
● Master level degree in Practical Theology, Spiritual Formation or comparable degree and at least 5 years of ministry experience. Experience leading children or youth ministries preferred. Open to UMC Deacon, ordained or seeking ordination. Ultimately, we are seeking the best candidate who fits our church’s mission and vision.
● An advocate of United Methodist theology and doctrine
● A passion and vision for spiritual growth including connecting, equipping and deploying laity
● Demonstrated ability to facilitate spiritual growth opportunities that emphasize
involvement in worship and small groups
● Strong collaboration skills and experience working with a leadership team
- Excellent organization and administrative skills including a working knowledge of computer software including Word, Canva, Publisher and social media sites
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position will oversee all discipleship ministries and directly overseeeitheryouth ministries orchildren’s ministries, (depending on applicant’s skills, experience and passion) but not both. This position will provide leadership and oversight for a part-time position that focuses on the other ministry area (either children or youth) and coordinate connectional ministries that encourage intergenerational fellowship.
● Develop and lead a Youth Ministry Team to nurture a holistic ministry with youth that includes fellowship, learning, worship, retreats, special events/outings, and missions.
● Encourage & build participation in young people’s activities through personal relationships & promote a welcoming culture for all youth.
● Encourage, train & equip youth counselors in co-leading the youth ministry
● Work with the lead pastor to provide opportunities for youth to lead in the life of the church, including, but not limited to, worship
● Oversee youth specific programs, including but not limited to, confirmation, scholarship selection, etc.
● Develop and lead a Children’s Ministry Team to nurture a holistic ministry with children that includes fellowship, learning, worship, missions, family ministry opportunities, and special ministries such as VBS and seasonal events
● Recruit & resource children’s ministry leaders for children’s programs such as Sunday School, Children’s Church and other ministries
● Assist in selection & procurement of age appropriate curriculum & resources
● Work with Nursery Leader to give guidance & direction, connecting Nursery Ministry to overall Children’s Program
● Work with the lead pastor to provide opportunities for children to lead in the life of the church, including, but not limited to, worship
● Coordinate with the Kids’ Place Director to strengthen connections between the preschool and larger congregation
● Develop and coordinate opportunities for spiritual development, including small groups, Sunday School and new areas of discipleship ministries
● Cultivate relationship with adult and families that encourage greater participation and spiritual growth
● Work with the lead pastor and worship teams to craft dynamic worship for all ages and learning styles
● Partner with groups and committees to ensure all church programs align with the mission of CUMC
● Assume additional responsibilities as needed or as directed by the lead pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee
● Attend staff meetings and other relevant church committees; report directly to lead pastor
● Full time
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes health insurance, sick leave, vacation leave, travel reimbursement, continuing education costs.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about our church or city, please see:
Contact: Pastor David Lee
Church/Org/Business Name: Central United Methodist Church
Address: 200 E. Marion Street Shelby NC 28150
Email: Click to email