Director of Youth (Student) Ministries
The Director of Student (Youth) Ministries is a full-time position, responsible for the oversight, building and growing the ministry of student’s 6th to 12th grades, in their relationship with Christ, community and congregation.
- Demonstrates prior equivalent experience working with youth.
- Degrees focusing on youth and/or youth ministries or certification in youth ministry, preferred.
- Shall be at least 21 years of age.
- Have a vital, personal relationship with Jesus Christ and supportive of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to long-range plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Proven leadership experience
- Comfortable making decisions
- Attention to detail.
- Can provide thoughtful and important feedback.
- Facilitate and collaborate with the Student Ministry Team and Youth in leadership to ensure that the overall mission for Youth Ministry at PUMC is carried out.
- Serve as a Christian role model and mentor for all PUMC youth by providing guidance, council, and constructive spiritual development.
- Build relationships with parents of students fostering trust and involvement in student ministry.
- Care for students and families in pastoral care situations.
- Seek out ways to build relationships with students, inside and outside of the church, throughout the year. i.e. –
- Attend school activities, sport events, plays, concerts, school lunches, etc. supporting PUMC students and friends.
- Participate in school ministries (e.g., FCA) in which PUMC students are involved
- Responsible for recommending, planning and implementation of programs related, but not limited, to:
- United Methodist Youth Fellowship (UMYF/PYG)
- Weekly meetings and bible study opportunities
- Missions and Service projects (within and outside the community)
- Seasonal events and retreats for youth
- Responsible for recruiting, training, and supporting adult volunteer leaders to assist with the ministries related to youth.
- Create and implement new programs to continue the growth and development of PUMC’s youth, designed to foster Christian relationships.
- Serve as the representative for youth to the Church Council, to the congregation and within the wider community when needed.
- Maintain a timely and accurate schedule of upcoming youth related activities, including announcements and publications using all available promotional vehicles.
- Assist in planning the ministry area budget and managing the disbursement of funds within the guidelines of the approved budget and in adherence with the purchasing policies of the church.
- Participate fully as a member of the Pastoral and Ministry Staff.
- Be attentive to the special needs and concerns of youth.
- Identify, support, and encourage leadership development among the youth, including working closely with the Student Ministry Team.
- Seek opportunities for continued development and education related to youth.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
- Support church wide events and special projects as needed.
- Maintain compliance to the Safe Sanctuary Policy of PUMC
- Must be a team player by working in concert with ALL ministry staff and leaders of the church.
- Will be subject to criminal background checks as required by the church’s Safe Sanctuary policy.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology and serve as a positive role model in a Christian environment.
- Will be supervised in day-to-day operations by the Senior Pastor.
- Will be accountable to the Staff/Parish Relations Committee and shall receive evaluations (including salary recommendation) by this body.
- Will receive Paid Time Off (PTO) and holiday pay as outlined in the Employee Handbook (amendable by action of the Staff-Parish Relations Team).
Contact: Jason Cahaly
Church/Org/Business Name: Philadelphia United Methodist Church
Address: 1691 Hwy 160 W Fort Mill SC 29708
Phone: (803) 548-0102
Related file(s): view