Children's Ministries Summer Internship
Myers Park United Methodist Church
Children’s Ministries Summer Internship
Our goal for the summer intern program is to help interns grow in their faith in Jesus Christ, cultivate vocational discernment and spiritual gifts, offer professional/personal development, and hone ministry skills within an area of specialization.LOGISTICS: Employment will be the Tuesday following Memorial Day to mid-August, for a length of 10 weeks. Lodging is not provided. Work is full-time, 35 hours a week.
RESPONSIBILITIES: In addition to specific responsibilities within the ministry area, all interns are expected to:
- Attend a group orientation at the beginning of their internship.
- Meet weekly with their supervisor, to set and evaluate goals, reflect upon their work/experiences, and receive guidance/mentoring.
- Attend all-staff meetings and any ministry area meetings of the department in which they are working (example: Worship meeting, Discipleship staff meeting, etc.)
- Attend Sunday worship
BENEFITS: $3,000 salary. All church related events/excursions paid by the church. *Any vacation time must be approved by Intern Coordinator(s).
POSITION: Children’s Ministries Intern
REPORTS TO: Director of Children’s Ministries
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Children’s Ministries Intern is responsible for working with full-time Children’s Ministries staff to support all summer programming for children age birth–5th grade. This position is meant to provide an opportunity to grow personally in their faith formation as well as to explore their calling to ministry with children.
- Prepare and mail care packages to children attending summer camp.
- Plan and implement 2-3 worship care story-time experiences for preschool children.
- Participate in special summer events (e.g., Popsicles on the Playground, Lemonade on the Lawn).
- Take an active role in Vacation Bible School (June 13-16) to gain experience in all aspects of the program for children ages 3 through 5th grade.
- Take an active role in Summer Fun Days to gain experience in all aspects of the program (July 11-15 and July 18-22) for children ages 1 through 5th grade, including serving as an elementary school counselor, leading recreation activities, and possibly driving the church van.
- Maintain Welcome Worshiper bulletins and bags (in collaboration with volunteers) for children to use at all services. Put them out on Sunday mornings and retrieve them on Monday mornings.
- Plan and implement 1-2 programs/events for children and/or families to engage in faith formation, fellowship and service such as Kindergarten Transition, Ice Cream Social, etc.
- Assist Children's Ministries team with classroom preparation (curriculum, resources, supplies, etc.)
- Assist Children’s Ministries team with other projects (i.e. prepare teacher notebooks and bags, maintain CM resource list, research ideas for mission and fellowship, etc.)
- Attend Children's Ministries team meetings as scheduled.
- Completion of one year of post- high school education/formation
- Love for children!
Contact: Amy Jo Alspaugh
Church/Org/Business Name: Myers Park UMC
Address: Myers Park UMC, 1501 Queens Rd, 1501 Queens Rd 1501 Queens Rd Charlotte NC 28207
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view