Director of Music
As Highland Park UMC seeks to grow its music ministry program, the Director of Music will help to develop and lead the contemporary, traditional, children and youth music ministry programs for the church, in consultation with the senior pastor and any other team members designated to serve in the music ministry of the church. The music ministry shall be conducted in a way that is consistent with the mission, values, and theology of the church community. The Director of Music strategically coordinates with the senior pastor to select music that supports the sermon or message on a weekly basis. As such, the Director of Music must command a strong knowledge of contemporary Christian music and the Methodist hymnal and have the creative mindset to find the linkage between the pastoral message and the musical message.
- The Director of Music must be a dynamic leader who provides support for all involved in the congregation’s music ministry as well as promotes and welcomes newcomers to this ministry. The purpose of this position is to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshiped and glorified, and to provide direction, oversight, and coordination of musical, artistic, and technical elements of worship services.
- The Director of Music is responsible for all activities in the music department of the church as listed in the job description and is encouraged to recruit, train, and lead volunteers to assist with these duties as appropriate.
- The Director of Music should possess spiritual maturity, a dynamic personality, the ability to direct and relate well to a variety of ages, and the desire to facilitate those within the music ministry to use their God-given talents to uplift the congregation.
- The Director of Music may use up to four (4) Sundays per year as personal time off.
1. Plan and coordinate all music for weekly 9:00AM contemporary and 11:00AM traditional worship services at Highland Park UMC including anthems or, from time to time, special music not normally included in the order of worship.
2. Coordinate and implement the praise band and chancel choir during worship services and rehearsals.
3. Develop and implement a choir program for children and youth, 3-K through 12th grade, and for handbells.
4. Actively recruit and train volunteers to assist with all children and youth choirs.
5. Plan and provide seasonal cantatas and special performances for children, youth, handbells, and chancel choir.
6. Lead in the promotion and active recruitment of musically inclined individuals to join this ministry.
7. Effectively coordinate with the pastor and the worship committee to select music that supports the sermon or message.
8. Work with the pastor, worship committee and media director in developing creative worship services including the possible use of drama, videos, and other resources to enhance the overall impact and experience of the service.
9. Lead all music for Sunday services and the following special services: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve. If available with notice, serve with additional pay at weddings, funerals, and special events.
10. Encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic, and technical gifts of others.
11. Work within an approved annual music budget.
12. Order all music and music supplies for the music ministry and maintain the music library.
13. Secure maintenance and tuning for instruments as needed.
14. Establish rehearsal schedules for the choirs and praise team in a fashion that provides stability and attractiveness to recruit and grow the music ministry of Highland Park UMC.
15. Participate in scheduled church council meetings as well as weekly staff meetings.
16. Make fill-in arrangements when unable to perform duties as described during services or practices.
Requirements: Must have education/training in music or theology (bachelor’s or master’s degree a plus)
Note: Note the responsibilities identified above are not intended to be all-inclusive. There are numerous tasks essential to the successful fulfillment of our mission in the name of Christ; therefore, an employee may be asked to complete other related projects by the supervisor or the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
For additional information contact Highland Park UMC at 843-662-1233 (ask for Rev. Susan Maddox-Senior Minister) and send resumes to email@example.com
Contact: Rev. Susan Maddox
Church/Org/Business Name: Highland Park United Methodist Church
Address: 1300 2nd Loop Road Florence SC 29505
Email: Click to email