Director of Traditional Worship
The Director of Traditional Worship provides leadership for worship services at the Sanctuary on the Square and Poplar Sanctuary at Collierville UMC. They work to engage the congregation and encourage each person in their relationship with Jesus Christ. This person deals with a diverse group of members and guests as well as a number of volunteers and contract musicians. This person is a skilled musician, values teamwork, is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, and most importantly, is a committed disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Plan worship for the 8:30am Sanctuary on the Square service and the 11:00am Poplar Sanctuary service in collaboration with pastors and other worship staff.
- Coordinate the design and implementation of all elements of worship including:
- Music & Liturgy
- Thematic Design
- Service Order
- Visual Media & Lighting
- Work with the worship staff to plan and execute special (non-Sunday) services throughout the year such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Collierville Christmas Concert, and Christmas Eve.
- Provide spiritual and musical leadership for the adult choirs - Chancel Choir (Poplar Sanctuary) and Sanctuary Choir (Sanctuary on the Square) and strive for excellence in Sunday morning worship and rehearsals.
- Coordinate and schedule the music leadership and all musical offerings shared in traditional worship services.
- Provide opportunities for children (Kinder-5th Grade) and youth (6th-12th Grade) to grow in their faith through music and other arts.
- Serve as staff liaison for the Worship Chair, Poplar Sanctuary Coordinator, and Sanctuary on the Square Coordinator to ensure the highest level of excellence in worship.
- Oversee the purchase and maintenance of all musical instruments, literature, supplies and other materials used in support of the music ministry.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Chamber Music Series, working directly with its volunteer leader to set dates, review policies and approve communications.
- Administer the annual music and worship budget.
Job Related Skills
- Extensive knowledge of Choral and Instrumental conducting techniques
- Rudimentary proficiency (at least) in keyboard and other instruments
- Familiarity with elements of liturgical worship
- Team Player
- Project Management Skills
- Gifted in Instructing and Teaching Others
- Communication Proficiency
This position supervises the Associate Director of Music Ministries
This position operates in a professional church office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This position works with musical instruments and sound equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position and will include weekend hours and evening hours as necessary.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Music or other related field (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Advanced training and certifications in music and worship arts preferred
- 5 years of experience in a similar or related field
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position.
Contact: Eddie Bromley
Church/Org/Business Name: Collierville UMC
Address: 454 West Poplar Ave Collierville TN 38017
Email: Click to email
Website: www.collierville UMC.org