Skyland United Methodist Church
Skyland United Methodist is seeking an individual who will provide dynamic Christian leadership to our youth ages 7th – 12th grade, to help engage them in our church’s overall mission to LOVE God more fully, GROW in their relationships with one another, and SERVE others.
Position Title: Youth Director
Summary: Reporting to the associate pastor, plans, directs, oversees, and expands programs and activities for all students in seventh through twelfth grades; ensures that programs have a Christian focus in the Methodist tradition; and actively recruits, trains, and involves laity in the student ministry program. Position is 20 hours per week.
- Plans annual youth program and directs and oversees program components for students in seventh through twelfth grades; ensures that all programs have a Christian focus and foster discipleship. Coordinates program specifics with Youth Council, staff, and church committees to ensure programs are consistent with overall Church Mission and calendar.
- Recruits and trains volunteers and diversifies lay involvement in youth programs and activities. This includes inviting new and existing youth and their families.
- Assumes primary leadership role with Youth Council and volunteer counselors in developing and carrying out youth program. This program has historically included elements such as: weekly youth group activities, small groups, Bible study, newsletter, summer mission trips, and personal relationships.
- Participates in regular staff and other designated meetings, training programs, and activities; evaluates and recommends educational materials and programs to enhance programs in area of responsibility; and prepares church budget information for the annual budgeting process and ensures that programs are timely announced in the church newsletter. Engages in appropriate continuing education. Regularly attends worship services.
- Ensures all teachers and volunteers are trained in and abide by Safe Sanctuary policy.
- Effectively communicates student activities to our general congregation. Maintains a cordial, informative relationship with our entire church. Identify and communicate issues and challenges to Associate Pastor.
- Performs other duties as required to support the overall mission of the Church.
The incumbent in this position will reflect the following four components of Skyland United Methodist Church’s mission which is: to lead people into a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ, to love God with passion, to grow together in community, and to serve the world with love.
Interpersonal relationships. Relates well to all kinds of people inside and outside of the congregation; builds effective and constructive relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; is regarded as a team player.
Developing volunteers. Is able to identify gifts for ministry and recruit capable youth and adults into positions of responsibility; provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for others to do; delegates appropriately; builds people up; maintains open and active dialogue with volunteers; communicates expectations clearly and holds people accountable.
Trust and integrity. Is widely trusted; seen as direct and truthful keeps confidences; admits mistakes; adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values.
- Documented schooling in youth training concepts and protocols.
- Documented experience consistent with the responsibilities of the job.
- Possession of current CPR and Basic First Aid Certificates or stated willingness to obtain these within one month of being employed.
- Ability to set a Christian example for youth.
Contact: Ned Fowler
Church/Org/Business Name: Skyland UMC
Address: 1984 Hendersonville Rd Asheville NC 28803
Email: Click to email