Director of Youth Activities/Volunteer Coordinator
Job Title: Director of Youth Activities/Volunteer Coordinator
The Director of Youth Activities will plan and organize innovative youth activities that educate and engage our youth, and encourage their spiritual growth & help implement our Church Mission – Growing Discipleship through Relationships.
The Volunteer Coordinator will manage volunteers for areas including: Nursery, Sound, Lay Readers & Children’s Worship for both services, Traditional Service Ushers & Acolytes & Welcome Stewards. This could include managing sign up lists thru online service such as Sign-up Genius or calling church members to solicit volunteer help.
- be energetic, positive, and engaging
- be a self-starter with strong initiative and ability to innovate
- have a working knowledge of a variety of social media
- have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry with the parameters of The United Methodist Church
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computers skills
- have experience in leadership and working effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers
- have the ability to quickly establish a good rapport with youth and adults and be a team player
- be knowledgeable of the characteristics of youth and be able to recognize conflict or problems and successfully resolve them and/or seek help from church leadership
- must be able to pass a background check and drug screen
- have a college degree, with seminary experience preferred, minimum age – 22
- have a strong faith and theology consistent with The United Methodist Church
The Director of Youth Activities will be paid on a monthly basis. It is anticipated that 10-12 hours per week will be spent in preparation & planning of weekly youth activities in addition to establishing and maintaining an open, positive working environment with church committees as well as the parents. It is also understood that when the Youth is not meeting, the director is encouraged to use this time to participate in other church and community activities with the goal of strengthening the overall youth ministry of the church as well as recruiting interested youth. Four days of “Personal Time Off” (PTO) may be taken during the less demanding times of the church calendar. Unless sick, two week prior notice is to be provided to the Pastor and the Staff-Parrish Committee. Although 10-12 is the estimated average number of hours weekly required to fulfill the responsibilities of the job, since this is a salaried position, it is understood that the Director of Youth Activities is being paid to fulfill the following responsibilities.
- Plan weekly youth activities that educate and engage our youth.
- Maintain direct interaction with and among youth on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate and act as chaperone for all youth camps and trips, and evaluate fundraising efforts toward that end.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Coordinate the youth portion of larger church events in cooperation with the Pastor and Staff.
- Recruit & train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council/Committee in an annual process of evaluating the vision & goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all the available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin boards, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff & leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Build rapport with the youth and parents by keeping both informed well in advance of activities & programs
- Prepare and send information using a separate emailing only to the parents of the youth participating in various programs
- Prepare adequately in advance so that time will be used effectively during presentations and programs
- Provide a brief program update to the Office Administrator weekly for the Bulletin & monthly for the Beacon
- Attend all staff meeting with the Pastor and other staff members to plan events monthly
- Attend the Administrative Council meetings
- Attendance of Youth Sunday School & Sunday church services is encouraged
- Contact the Pastor on a weekly basis about the progress and concerns of the youth ministry
- Keep the youth room well organized
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary is observed in all youth ministry settings
Contact: Dana Allen, Administrative Assitant
Church/Org/Business Name: Park Street UMC
Address: 120 Park St Belmont 28012
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view