Director of Discipleship
To lead and oversee all key adult discipleship initiatives of Denver United Methodist church (DUMC) to help the congregation grow and mature in their faith.
- Develop DUMC’s adult discipleship ministry as the primary avenue for congregation assimilation and spiritual growth. Create a “discipleship pathway” that effectively brings people into our community while strengthening their relationship with Christ
- Resource small groups (as needed)
- Recruit and train leaders and manage discipleship program
- Choose/write curriculum focused at connecting groups to sermon series and worship, as appropriate
- Arrange for special topic seminars/retreats for adults (i.e. marriage workshop)
- Assist Sr. Pastor and other staff in the design, develop, and manage guest/member follow-up ministry
- Assist with Welcome Center/guest gift/first-time guest follow-up
- First Steps class (faith, basics, church basics)
- Next Steps class (spiritual gifts, putting faith into action, connect participants to a small group
- Improve upon communications that support discipleship ministries (Welcome literature, ministry opportunities, marketing for small groups, worship, sermon series guides, etc.)
- Assist volunteer leaders to maintain current Sunday school classes and Bible studies as needed.
- Preach on as-needed basis as scheduled by the Senior Pastor
- Participate in staff planning retreats with Senior Pastor and Worship Arts Staff
- Oversee all aspects of worship for Sundays you preach
- Support and implement overall mission and vision of DUMC
- Nurture overall well-being of the church, congregation, and mission of DUMC outside of primary job
- Adapt to ever-changing needs of DUMC staff and congregation
- Attend all staff meetings and lead meetings when Senior Pastor is not present
- Attend church events as required by Senior Pastor
Education or Training -
- A degree in the area of pastoral ministry, education, or spiritual development preferred
- Experience in leading and creating discipleship programs and/or spiritual retreats
- Strong giftedness and confidence in public speaking, teaching, preaching, and various forms of communication.
- Proven skills in Small Group ministry contexts, specifically in the areas of group leadership and leader training.
- Ability to build and maintain teams of responsible people through personal recruitment and coaching.
- Strong ability to work with people of various temperaments, gifts, passions, and church backgrounds.
- A consistent self-starter who is willing to accept responsibility for the success of their ministry.
- Desire to work closely with others (especially staff) in order to develop meaningful relationships.
- Proficient in using computer and communication applications
- Five years or more of experience within a local church or equivalent is desired.
- Other appropriate discipleship experience will be considered as applicable
- Ordination is preferred, but candidates actively engaged within the ordination process may also be considered.
- Attend workshops, conferences, or education (both formal and informal) to increase knowledge and awareness of Discipleship
- As outlined in DUMC Employee Handbook
Contact: Cameron Wilson
Church/Org/Business Name: Denver United Methodist Church
Address: 3910 N Hwy 16 Denver NC 28037
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view