Children's Director, Lexington, South Carolina
Lexington United Methodist Church
Lexington, South Carolina
Job Title: Children’s Minister
Reports To: Appointed Clergy
Position Status: Full-Time (40-hrs/week), Salaried, Exempt
Required Hours: Hours are flexible but to include: Wednesday evenings 5:15-8:00 p.m.; Sunday mornings 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., as scheduled.
Pay Range: $30K-$32K; no benefits package offered.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to the attention of Mrs. Jessica Moore to firstname.lastname@example.org. Both cover letter and resume are necessary for an application to be reviewed.
Overall Mission: To make Disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world.
Vision for Children’s Ministry: Children’s Ministry exists to lead the education and development of children (infants through 5th grade) and those who care for and minister to children.
Position Summary: The Children’s Minister will be responsible for providing visionary leadership for children’s ministry and promoting and communicating the program to the congregation. The Children’s Minister is expected to work alongside clergy, staff and church leadership in order to generate program growth by bringing new families into the church and increasing the number of children and families involved in children’s ministry. Recruiting, training, ministering, and counseling volunteers will be required.
The Children’s Minister will be tasked with developing effective and exciting program opportunities and activities for children and families that foster relationships and allow children to grow as disciples. This person will identify, nurture, and encourage congregational members who are gifted in children’s ministry and ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policies are followed with children.
The Children’s Minister will direct a Sunday morning Sunday School ministry, nursery ministry, Children’s Church and provide Wednesday evening opportunities for all-aged children. Duties will also include managing a budget; working with the Church Council; attending various meetings; planning, coordinating, and directing Vacation Bible School; and integrating the children through participation in worship services and church activities.
Spiritual Gifts and Qualifications Helpful for the Job
- A children’s minister benefits from having a combination of these spiritual gifts: servanthood, teaching, exhortation (encouragement), leadership, administration, and shepherding. This leader should show evidence of passion for ministry with children and deep commitment to faith formation of children, prior effective ministry leadership, and evidence of active and growing discipleship. This person should demonstrate at least a basic knowledge of child development and understand the importance of providing a safe and nurturing environment for children.
- Baccalaureate Degree or higher preferred.
- Necessary skills for this position are the ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages, the ability to work with other ministry leaders, the ability to delegate responsibility and to follow up to complete tasks.
- Plan, Develop, and Oversee – Develop and oversee an effective and exciting children’s ministry that enables children to grow as disciples. Requirements for children’s ministry include:
- Preparing for and direct Sunday School ministry;
- Preparing for 11:00am Children’s Church;
- Coordinating the volunteers and paid staff for Nurseries;
- Preparing for Wednesday evening opportunities for all-aged children;
- Plan, Prepare and execute events for the children of the church, their families, and the community.
- Examples include: Fall Festival, Christmas Program, Happy Birthday Jesus Party, Easter Egg Hunt, Summer Activities, Back to School Activities, End of School activities.
- Preparing for and direct Sunday School ministry;
- Visionary Leadership – provide visionary leadership for children’s ministry by:
- Receiving and sharing education regarding the issues and needs relating to children’s ministry;
- Working with the Church Council and the staff to develop the children’s ministry and ensuring that the children’s ministry is well connected to the overall vision of the church as a whole;
- Lead the work of the children’s council (if organized) including organizing and presiding at meetings;
- Promoting the children’s ministry and their discipleship to the entire congregation. Some ways to accomplish this include reporting to promoting and justifying budgetary needs, and using church bulletins, newsletters, Facebook and other social media, and the church website;
- Engage with guest families to practice radical hospitality.
- Recruitment and Training – recruit, train, and counsel those who volunteer with children by:
- Recruiting volunteers for the Nursery Ministry, Children’s Sunday School, Children’s Church, Wednesday Night activities, VBS, and special events;
- Identifying congregational members who are gifted in children’s ministry, inquiring about their callings for ministry, and encouraging and nurturing the use of their gifts;
- Ensuring that the church’s Safe Sanctuary Policies are being carried out in the children’s ministry program;
- Ministering, acting as a disciple, and providing encouragement and resources to those who share and volunteer in children’s ministry.
- Vacation Bible School – provide leadership, planning, organization, and coordination for a summer Vacation Bible School;
- Provide Family Opportunities – work alongside clergy, staff and church leaders to provide opportunities for family activities to foster relationships among church families. This will include seasonal activities, special events and summer programs.
- Meeting Attendance – the Children’s Minister is expected to attend various meetings including staff meetings, Preschool Board, Church Council and other meetings as needed;
- Coordinate with and provide support for the 4th/5th Grade Ministry Coordinator;
- Preschool Connection– work closely with the preschool director to keep the preschool program and the children’s ministry program connected; lead preschool chapel on occasion; attend preschool board meetings; manage shared spaces; collaborate with the preschool director regarding spaces, materials and events.
Contact: Jessica Moore
Church/Org/Business Name: Lexington United Methodist Church
Address: 309 East Main Street Lexington SC 29072
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view