After School Care Ministry Director
Director of After School Care Ministry
Mount Tabor United Methodist Church (Winston-Salem, North Carolina), offers an After School Care Program for children in grades Kindergarten-7th grade. It exists to minister to the needs of elementary children and their families in the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools system Zone 5 schools: Jefferson, Sherwood Forest, Vienna, Speas, and Kimberly Park. The program is one of the only After School Care programs in Winston-Salem that also offers After School Care for 6th and 7th graders attending Jefferson, Paisley, and Wiley Middle Schools. The church considers this an outreach to the community and as such it falls under the umbrella of the Children’s Ministries.
The ministry is designed to provide a safe, loving, engaging Christian environment for children after school. The program operates from 2-6 p.m. on school days, 12-6 p.m. on early release days and offers all-day care on Teacher workdays and other select school breaks. The ministry provides a healthy snack, an opportunity for active play, time to complete homework and fills the remaining time with activities designed to engage the whole child.
The Director of Afterschool Care Ministry will manage a team and be responsible for the day to day operations of the program.
The successful applicant would:
- demonstrate a love for children that includes the ability to meet the needs of every child with patience and love
- be creative and enthusiastic bringing new and creative experiences to engage children
- manage their team in a supportive, positive fashion
- value and support the church’s mission
- operate as a team player within Children’s Ministries and the greater church.
The Director of After School Care Ministry job is a part-time salaried position with the primary purpose of implementing the mission of Mount Tabor United Methodist Church through directing the After School Care Ministry, including a focus on anticipating and meeting the needs of the children.
- At least 21 years of age
- Demonstrate a strong faith in Jesus Christ in life and practice
- Associate, Undergraduate or Graduate degree or equivalency in Child Development, Child Psychology, Early Childhood Education or a related field OR equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years of progressive responsibilities in child care, early childhood education or school age care
- Possess strong leadership, interpersonal, team-building and conflict resolution skills
- Proficiency with computer word processing, spreadsheets and internet
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A genuine love of children and a friendly attitude toward all persons
- Proven history of planning events and experiences for children
Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare, implement and oversee the activity schedule for the After School Care Ministry
- Interact daily with administrative staff, teachers and children in the After School Care Ministry
- Recognize, document and address behavioral concerns and special needs
- Select and purchase supplies and equipment necessary for the successful operation of the After School Care Ministry
- Maintain communication with area schools that are served by the After School Care Ministry
- Maintain consistent and regular office hours, including during summer months
- Market the program to the community and prospective families
- Lead and manage the enrollment process each year
- Work with the Director of Children’s Ministries and the After School Care Ministry Board to recruit, interview and hire administrative staff and teachers of the After School Care Ministry
- Supervise the Assistant Director and teachers of the After School Care Ministry
- Prepare and maintain the schedules for all staff and teachers of the After School Care Ministry
- Seek and make available continuing education opportunities for staff and teachers, with approval of the After School Care Ministry Board
- Maintain current handbooks for employees and parents
- Ensure current files and information are maintained for both students and staff
- Document and manage special needs of the children including allergies
- Ensure that the church’s Safety & Safe Sanctuaries policies are followed and maintained by all areas of the After School Care Ministry to include CPR, First Aid, Child Abuse & Neglect and Safe Sanctuaries training
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings of the After School Care Ministry Board and report on the status of the After School Care Ministry, including but not limited to, enrollment, budget and financial reports
- Prepare and present an annual budget to the After School Care Ministry Board in conjunction with the Assistant Director
- Supervise and monitor the annual budget, providing monthly reports to the After School Care Ministry Board (working with the Assistant Director of the After School Care Ministry)
- Responsible for the management of the tuition assistance program, including: communicating with families regarding the availability of tuition assistance; distributing and collecting the paperwork for tuition assistance applicants; presenting applications and information to the After School Care Ministry Board Scholarship Committee to assist in the evaluation process; communicating written notification to applicants regarding decisions
- Collaborate, participate and/or lead larger church events as part of the Children’s Ministries team
- Other responsibilities as set by the After School Care Ministry Board and the Staff Parish Relations Committee
This position is accountable to the After School Care Ministry Board, Director of Children’s Ministries, and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
The direct supervisor for this position is the Director of Children’s Ministries.
Salary/Benefits Package for 2020
Salary and Hours
- $24,000 to $30,000 annual salary, depending on experience
- 25 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation: (to be prorated in the first year of employment depending on hire date)
2 weeks (10 workdays) for 1-5 years of service
3 weeks (15 workdays) for 6-10 years of service
4 weeks (20 workdays) for 11+ years of service
- 6% contribution provided by the church. The employee may contribute additional funds if they choose. This benefit begins the first of the month after completion of 90 days of employment.
The Church will run a background and criminal check as well as require a drug test prior to employment.
If you are interested in applying for this position or want additional details about job duties, salary range and benefits, please go to the church website www.mttaborumc.org and look under the “QuickLinks” list and select “Employment Opportunities” to obtain a copy of the Mount Tabor UMC job application.
Contact Director of Children’s Ministries Marcey Davis at 336-765-5561 extension 1007 with any questions about the application process.
Once the application is completed, please submit it, along with your resume, to:
ASC Director Search Committee
Staff Parish Relations Committee
c/o Mount Tabor United Methodist Church
3543 Robinhood Road
Winston Salem, NC 27106
Applications, with resumes, will be accepted for this position until noon on January 31, 2020.
Contact: Marcey Davis
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Tabor UMC
Address: 3543 ROBINHOOD RD WINSTON SALEM 27106
Email: Click to email