Director of Youth Ministries LaGrange First UMC
The First United Methodist Church of LaGrange, a large-membership, county-seat congregation that seeks to, “make and grow disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world” is seeking a Director of Youth Ministries to lead and supervise a comprehensive ministry of youth. Our congregation worships around 350 people on a Sunday morning, contains great influence within our community, and is situated in a growing, micropolitan city.
The Director of Youth Ministries leads the congregation in its ministry with youth (those between the ages of 12 and 18 years) as the faith community strives to teach its youth to love God and one another in Christian community, empowering them to grow as disciples, and equipping them to live their faith boldly in the world. Through discipleship received in the youth ministry and the overall ministry of First UMC, we seek for all people to know the heart of God, grow in the grace of God, and show the love of God. This position will report to the Associate Minister. Our hope is that the Youth Director will serve alongside an Assistant Youth Director who will specifically focus on ministry with students in grades 6-8.
- Sense of calling to youth ministry and the ability to work with youth.
- Ability to relate to and lead youth from different backgrounds and personalities in fellowship with each other, the community, and Christ and to teach the congregation how to do this as well.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and budget management skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, lead and guide regularly scheduled and spontaneous activities related to youth ministry.
- Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth.
- Willingness to work cooperatively with others, to maintain a positive outlook and disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems.
- Understanding of and commitment to United Methodist theology and practices.
- Weekly attendance at congregational worship is expected.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and 3-year experience in youth ministry is preferred.
- Plan, conduct, coordinate, evaluate, select, and provide resources for youth in environments developed to better equip and teach youth what is necessary in becoming an integral part of the congregation and the Body of Christ, ensuring there is opportunity to develop fellowship, spiritual formation, discipleship, and the experience of Christian community. This may include but is not limited to Sunday School, Wednesday Night Worship, retreats, and other UMYF events and programs as they seek to achieve this end.
- Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents and youth.
- Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with congregational leadership and other members who have no other connection with youth ministry.
- Support and guide the work of a youth ministry leadership team in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and providing for leadership of regular planning sessions.
- Direct the securing of all necessary funds, travel arrangements, leadership, and adult chaperones, and provide Christian teaching, time for worship, prayer and scripture study for youth trips.
- Recruit and assist members of the congregation to develop mentoring relationships with youth.
- Recruit and assist volunteer youth workers to provide training for youth aimed at leadership and faith development.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth in the local church and the community.
- Work cooperatively with the staff of First UMC, including the Director of Children’s Ministries, the Associate Minister, Senior Minister, and other staff as necessary.
- Communicate all calendar information to the Executive Minister, i.e. event dates, facility needs, van reservations, and event information to the Communications Director for web publication.
- Attend regularly and specially called staff meetings, family ministry team meetings, church council meetings, charge conferences and other meetings as requested.
- Prepare, submit, and administer a youth budget in consultation with the youth council.
- Conduct the ministry of Youth in compliance with the First UMC Safe Sanctuaries policy.
- Other responsibilities as negotiated.
This is a full-time salaried position which will include health insurance and a continuing education fund. Salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Rev. Ben Wills
Church/Org/Business Name: LaGrange First United Methodist Church
Address: 401 Broad Street LaGrange GA 30240
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view