Band Leader for 9 a.m. Higher Ground Service
This is a part-time 10 hour per week salaried position that works with the pastors, Higher Ground Coordinator, and Higher Ground Planning Team to plan the music for a weekly Sunday morning service, lead a weekly band rehearsal, and a rehearsals on Sunday morning. This position will also lead the band during the Sunday 9 a.m. Higher Ground worship service at Mount Tabor United Methodist Church. The Higher Ground Band Leader reports directly to the Higher Ground Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a recognized and relevant field.
- Demonstrate strong faith in Jesus Christ in life and in practice.
- Have experience with, and a passion for, leading contemporary/traditional music in worship services.
- Possess leadership, interpersonal, team-building skills, and conflict resolution skill .
- Demonstrate musical proficiency in playing piano and keyboard. The ability to play other musical instruments is preferred but not required.
The following is a list of the major responsibilities and duties of this job. Specific duties may change from time to time.
- Attend Higher Ground Service Planning Meetings bi-monthly as scheduled, collaborating with the pastors, Higher Ground Coordinator, and Higher Ground Planning team in planning worship services.
- Attend monthly music meetings with the Higher Ground Coordinator and Higher Ground Music Selection Team to suggest, select, and plan past and/or new songs based on the service theme for each week and in the style of Higher Ground Worship.
- Ensure Higher Ground is compliant with licenses for music and streaming music.
- Invite band members to participate monthly, including vocal soloists, for appropriate music selections and doo wops for the music planned for each specific Sunday.
- Prepare new songs monthly, including chord sheets.
- Create, or oversee the production of, a CD with songs for each month for band members.
- Create and distribute weekly music notes to band members, service builders, and image teams, including list of participants, songs, type of song, chord sheets, instrumentation, key of music, key of CD, key in which songs will be played/sung, special instructions, service notes, and a rehearsal reminder.
- Create weekly sound notes for sound technician, including type of song, soloist and other voices singing, instruments that will be played, and special notes related to sound.
- Lead weekly Higher Ground Band rehearsals (Wednesday evenings).
- Lead band during rehearsal prior to the service and during the Higher Ground Worship Service each Sunday morning. There will be additional worship and rehearsal hours required during Higher Ground Dramas for Easter and Christmas.
- Assist with reset of Worship stage as needed following the Higher Ground Service.
- Recruit band members, including doo wops (background singers), as needed, and serve as, or suggest mentors for younger or new band members.
- Attend Staff Meetings as schedule allows.
SALARY/BENEFITS PACKAGE for 2019/2020
Salary & Hours
- $7,500 to $7,800 annually depending on experience.
- 10 hours per week: Includes Wednesday evening rehearsals and Sunday mornings for rehearsal and Higher Ground Service.
- There will be additional worship and rehearsal hours required during Higher Ground Dramas at Easter and Christmas.
- 2 weeks (10 workdays based on hours worked per week) for 1-5 years of service (prorated during first year of employment based upon hire date)
- 3 weeks (15 workdays based on hours worked per week) for 6-10 years of service
- 4 weeks (20 workdays based on hours worked per week) for 11+ years of service
- An employee joining the staff at Mount Tabor UMC who has previously worked as a staff member at another United Methodist Church will be considered for additional vacation time based on those previous years of service and type of experience. SPRC will review each situation on a case by case basis.
The church will run a background and criminal check, as well as require a drug test prior to employment.
Contact Marjorie Guilford with the Mount Tabor UMC Staff Parish Relations Committee
(cell 336-926-6047) with any questions about the application process.
Applications can be found on the MTUMC website at www.mttaborumc.org under the Employment Opportunities link or obtained during normal business hours at the church’s main office.
Once the application is completed, please submit it, and your resume, to:
Staff Parish Relations Committee – Search Committee
c/o Mount Tabor United Methodist Church
3543 Robinhood Road
Winston Salem, NC 27106
Applications, with resumes, will be accepted for this position through NOON on Friday, September 27, 2019
Contact: Marjorie Guilford
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Tabor UMC
Address: 3543 Robinhood Rd Winston Salem 27106
Email: Click to email