Pastor of Student Ministries
Pastor of Student Ministries
Reports to: Pastor of Discipleship Formation
Provide oversight for high school ministries and coordination with the middle school and college ministries.
Candidate will have a strong commitment to Wesleyan theology and biblical orthodoxy as well as a proven track record for being eager and willing to build disciples who are committed to Jesus Christ, to the church, and to the work of Christ in the world. This includes but is not limited to:
• Teaching, discipling, and nurturing students through biblical instruction that builds a biblical worldview and develops Christian values and lifestyle.
• Staying in touch with the ever-changing youth culture.
• Programming that ministers to the whole person (physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual).
• Evangelistic ministry on school campuses as permitted in our area.
• Leading or participating in student outreach and mission-oriented opportunities or trips.
• Being available for formal and informal social relationships with students.
• Participating in and administering the calling/follow-up of students whose attendance is non-regular.
• Organize weekly student activities and events.
Staff and volunteer leadership:
Will supervise staff, interns and volunteer leaders for ministry to students and recruit those individuals as needed.
This will involve:
• Providing opportunities for their spiritual growth and the identification/development of their spiritual gifts.
• Assisting them in identifying needs and establishing goals for student ministry.
• Being responsive to their questions regarding biblical truth and student behavior as related to Christian living, social interaction, human sexuality and discipleship.
• Being aware of current developments in materials, curriculum, media, social media, etc.
• Encouraging them to attend conferences and other training opportunities for spiritual growth and development.
• Build open and honest communication between parents and teens.
This will include:
• Clearly communicating your student ministry philosophy, teaching topics, goals, and coming activities frequently through regular meetings or electronic communication.
• Being available for personal consultation.
• Providing opportunity for training in parent/teen relationships.
Leadership, and Congregation:
Participate in the overall life of the church to gain personal spiritual enrichment and build a closer relationships with God and each other. This will involve:
• Time for personal study and prayer aimed at continuing one’s own personal growth and equipping for ministry.
• Participation in regular staff meetings and retreats.
• Attendance at regularly scheduled services of the church and participating in the leadership roles assigned for that function.
• Participation in student or leadership conferences for personal enrichment.
• Assisting other pastoral staff as time permits and as one’s gifts allow.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s required (Christian Education or Bible major helpful, but not necessary). Seminary degree strongly preferred. Candidate will have previous experience in a full-time position with a growing ministry in a large (500+ attendance) church, large staff setting, a deep personal commitment to Jesus Christ, and an intense desire to see students grow spiritually and:
• Demonstrate effectiveness as a disciple maker.
• Have strong organizational/communication skills.
• Possess spiritual giftedness in the areas of leadership and teaching.
• Display a learning posture, flexibility, cooperation, servanthood and evidence of being self-motivated and willing to work within a team ministry.
Located in Lexington, Centenary is one of the largest United Methodist churches in Kentucky (3000+ membership). It has a long history of tremendous ministry in a growing area of the city on the edge of the campus of the University of Kentucky. We host highly rated outreaches to families including The Centenary School, the Centenary School of Music and a large sports ministry, IAM3rd which has almost 2000 students in various sporting activities and teams. We have a very high commitment to reaching individuals and families for Jesus Christ across the ocean and across the street.
Salary: $43-47k (Depending upon Experience) + Benefits
Please send resume by July 20 to:
Janna Melton c/oCentenary United Methodist Church 2800 Tates Creek Road Lexington, KY 40502
Contact: Janna Melton
Church/Org/Business Name: Centenary UMC
Address: 2800 Tates Creek Road Lexington KY 40502
Email: Click to email