Minister/Director of Youth Ministries
General Purpose of Position:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and community outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Minister or Director of Youth Ministries reports to the Associate Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the persons performance. The Minister or Director of Youth Ministries is responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, informed by the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Bi-Weekly Staff Meetings, Administrative Council, Worship planning, and Youth Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the connectional system of the United Methodist Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
-love youth where they are -encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
-provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
-challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
1. Plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and out.
2. Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
3. Support and guide the work of the Youth Council or equivalent body in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing planning sessions.
4. Organize and oversee all aspects of yearly Pumpkin Patch Fundraiser.
5. Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
6. Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
7. Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
8. Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
9. Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with other program staff.
Contact: Lisa Lail
Church/Org/Business Name: St Luke's United Methodist Church
Address: 52 16th Avenue NW Hickory NC 28601
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view