Part-Time Children's Ministry Director
West Market Church
Part-Time Director of Children’s Ministry
West Market Church is a vibrant congregation made up of people of all ages who gather to worship, learn, and serve together. All are welcome here, whether you're young or old and no matter where you've been, what you've done, or who you are and all are loved.
West Market Church is The Director of Children’s Ministry will encourage, excite and equip all children in the congregation to be an active servant of Christ. The director will work with the pastors and other ministry leaders in the church to address the discipleship path and needs of children so that all God’s children grow in their relationship with God. In addition the coordinator will ensure that children are considered and included in the life of the congregation while planning, visioning and advocating for them. The Director will work with the other ministry leaders in the church to create a cohesive plan of policies and procedures to keep children safe.
The Director of Children’s Ministry shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as an advocate, role model, spiritual mentor, and encourager of children and their families. Pray for the children, volunteers, and families weekly. Provide opportunities to engage children with the larger congregation.
- Provide for the pastoral needs of children by making ongoing personal contacts and by leading or teaching one or more children’s activities each month.
- Hire, train, schedule, supervise and maintain payroll for all childcare staff for Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, special services and meetings.
- Coordinate, plan and implement existing Children’s Ministry programs: Sunday School, Children’s Chapel, Wednesday Mission Programs, Vacation Bible School, Camp Guilrock Day Camp, Children’s Sunday, 4th and 5th Grade Mission Trip and other children’s programs.
- Recruit, encourage, and supervise volunteers for all children’s ministry programs. Ensure that volunteers are acceptable under Safe Sanctuary policies. Provide training workshops as needed. Work with and support teachers in relation to discipline, special supplies, and communication. Maintain Children's Ministry volunteer and substitute-volunteer calendar.
- Plan and implement special events for children including Fall Festival, Hot Cocoa with Santa, Family Christmas Eve Service, Movie Nights, Pajama Parties, Ice Skating, Easter/Lent events, Fall Kick off Events and others. In addition, brainstorm and add any events that increase fellowship for children.
- Review, select and prepare curriculum materials and educational tools for all children's ministry programs.
- Evaluate classes and/or activities on a routine basis to check on teaching, activities, and assistance issues.
- Recruit and lead the Children's Ministry Leadership Team to ensure a strong, on-going ministry with children.
- Ensure adequate publicity of children’s activities. Maintain Children’s Ministry information on church’s website, email newsletter and calendar of events.
- Work with Family Ministry Director to create and implement meaningful ways to assist and equip parents in the development of their kids into fully devoted followers of Christ. Develop and coordinate short-term classes for children and families.
- Communicate with and include parents as an integral part of the Children's Ministry program. Consult periodically with parents to discuss aims, policies, and practices of the children’s ministry, and to ascertain their expectations, concerns, and suggestions.
- Continue to seek new ways to be more effective in reaching children. Identify and implement new opportunities for spiritual growth for children and their families. Actively pursue continuing-education through the study of various materials, and/or attending conferences/classes that would strengthen the ministry.
- Oversee Children’s Ministry facilities and ensure any updates/repairs are completed as well as regular cleanings.
- Ensure a safe environment for children; physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Develop, implement and maintain a “Safe Sanctuaries” policy and a secure method of receiving and returning children from and to parents before and after all classes and activities.
- Communicate with and work with other ministry leaders in the church to ensure the church is meeting the discipleship needs of the children throughout their programs. Encourage intergenerational activities and programs to create a nurturing family environment for children.
- Assist in creating and managing the Children’s Ministry budget with direction from the Family Ministry Team and Children’s Ministry Leadership Team.
- Show volunteer appreciation by notes, gifts, etc
- Work closely with the Director of Youth Ministry to assure that students leaving the Children’s Ministry have a smooth transition to the youth ministry.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of equipment and supplies, purchasing supplies as needed.
- Maintain and publicize the children's library.
- Prepare and deliver Children’s Sermons on Sundays.
- Work with Early Childhood Center to create a strong relationship with children and families and publicize events and encourage them to attend.
- Attend staff meetings and church council meetings. Prepare reports for meetings as needed and required.
The Director of Children’s Ministry will serve under and report directly to the Director of Family Ministry. This is an at-will position for which the Church will be providing salary and benefits as described below, and which may be subject to change as the Church decides through the Staff/Parish committee.
Contact: Erin Althaus
Church/Org/Business Name: West Market Church
Address: 302 W Market St Greensboro 27401
Email: Click to email