Children's Formation Minister
A disciple of Jesus Christ that will encourage all children (specifically ages 4-11) in the congregation and community to grow in their faith as Christian disciples. This person will work with other church and community leaders to address the needs of children so that all God’s children grow in the love and knowledge of God. The minister will lead in this holy work on Sunday and one other day of the week/weekend.
What's My Job?
As Coordinator of Children’s Ministries, you are “responsible for assuring that children are considered and included within the life of the congregation. The coordinator will work closely with families in the congregation along with persons called to work with children. The coordinator will vision, plan, and advocate for children, particularly in the areas of faith development, safety, and discipleship. The coordinator will work with other leaders in the congregation to assure that policies and procedures are in place to help keep all children and the adults who care for and work with them safe.”
Spiritual Gifts and Qualifications Helpful for the Job
- A children’s coordinator benefits from having a combination of these spiritual gifts: servanthood, teaching, exhortation (encouragement), leadership, administration, and shepherding. This leader should show evidence of passion for ministry with children and deep commitment to faith formation of children, prior effective ministry leadership, and evidence of active and growing discipleship. This person should demonstrate at least a basic knowledge of child development and understand the importance of providing a safe and nurturing environment for children.
- Useful skills for this position are the ability to listen to and communicate with people of all ages, the ability to work with other ministry leaders, the ability to delegate responsibility and to follow up to complete tasks.
- This leader should show genuine interest in responding to the hopes, needs, and concerns of children in the community.
Responsibilities of the Position
- The coordinator of children’s ministry will be attentive to the hopes, concerns, and needs of children in the community to determine how the congregation might serve them and their families and how they might serve one another as Christian disciples and good neighbors. The coordinator should identify key people in the congregation and community who are advocates for children’s needs and issues.
- The coordinator needs to be familiar with the congregation’s mission and vision and how they are achieved through the congregation’s ministry by, with, and for children and their families. This leader should pray intentionally for children and their families.
- This leader will advocate that all children are welcome and expected to be fully engaged in the ministries of the church—even in the worshipping space.
- The coordinator will work with others to plan and carry out a formation experience for children that includes worship, study, fellowship, service experiences, and other experiences that guide children as they grow in faith.
- The coordinator will lead the church in creating and annually updating Safe Sanctuaries policies and guidelines and living into them as a community of nurture.
- The coordinator will regularly and intentionally communicate with parents, families, and children’s ministry leaders in other churches, denominations, and non-profits, so that children have multiple opportunities to thrive.
- The coordinator will work with other leaders to develop and secure theologically aligned and developmentally appropriate resources and curriculum that support the work of teachers and group leaders in ministry with children.
Anyone interested in this position is invited to send a resume to email@example.com
Contact: Joshua David Kurtz
Church/Org/Business Name: Jordan Memorial United Methodist Church
Address: 1511 Main Street PO Box 848 Ramseur NC 27316
Email: Click to email