St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
Job Title: Director of Youth and Recreation
Position Status: Full-Time Employee
Position Summary: The Director of Youth and Recreation develops and implements programs and mission trips for youth in the middle school, high school, and college groups. The position must balance the study of God’s Word, evangelism and service with fellowship and relate Biblical principles to the issues young people experience today. The position also organizes recreation events for adults as well as youth. The position requires a self-directed team player who is very organized and able to effectively communicate and motivate youth of all ages and their parents. In addition to the specific responsibilities listed below, the position is expected to work with other members of the church staff to coordinate activities and provide support when necessary.
- Oversee the youth ministry of St. Mark’s UMC and direct its mission and vision with a balanced program of activities and discipleship.
- Provide leadership and input to the Youth Council in developing and evaluating strategies and goals for promoting Christian growth and developing leadership in St. Mark’s youth.
- Encourage and nurture youth and their families in the Wesleyan understanding of Christian faith and living.
- Minister to parents of youth to assist parents in nurturing the faith of their children
- Plan, implement and coordinate youth mission trips, retreats and various other activities that keep youth and their families involved in their faith and church life
- Invite and coordinate youth participation in various service opportunities, including Sunday worship, Easter sunrise services and Senior and Junior high mission work and trips.
- Promote cross-generational connections and integration with other ministries of St. Mark’s
- Develop program budgets and manage fundraising campaigns as needed
- Mentor and provide direction to summer interns, youth leaders and others assisting with the implementation and execution of related programs and ministries
- Participate in conference activities such as Summer Sizzler and Warmth In Winter.
- Manage communication
toyouth, parents, staff and church congregation.
- Recruit teachers for the college-age Sunday school class
- Coordinate the annual Christmas party
- Support Wesley Foundation activities
- Plan and implement seasonal activities supporting and encouraging college fellowship.
- Schedule activities requiring use of St. Mark’s recreation facilities and supplies
- Recruit and coach the St. Mark’s church league basketball team
- Coordinate softball activities, annual golf tournaments, volleyball and other gym activities
- Coordinate trivia nights and other activities scheduled for adults and youth
Qualifications: The Director of Youth and Recreation must have a sense of call and passion for ministry with youth that is grounded in an understanding and appreciation of Methodist theology. This person should have significant experience in youth ministry and possess good communication skills with youth and adults. The director should be goal-oriented, self-directed, and self-motivated and should serve as a role model to the youth and other adults. This person must see this position as an opportunity to develop Christian faith and integrate youth into the broader ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Specific qualifications include:
- A Master’s degree is preferred but not required
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- An ability to identify and foster leadership in adults and youth
- A desire to be a team player that work works well with other staff
- An aptitude for spiritual, emotional, social and physical wellness
- An attitude of flexibility and adaptability in the face of changing moods, plans and directions common to working with youth and parents
- A resilient and persevering spirit that is not easily discouraged or frustrated
- A desire to seek opportunities for youth to grow personally and spiritually
- A good sense of humor and an energetic personality are also helpful
Contact: Buddy Howell
Church/Org/Business Name: St. Mark's United Methodist Church
Address: 1267 N. Rutherford Blvd Murfreesboro TN 37130
Email: Click to email