Director of Music
Mount Olivet United Methodist Church in Concord, NC is seeking a committed part-time Director of Music to lead our 20-member Chancel Choir. We are an older congregation and choir, with a wide range of musical abilities, who have experienced considerable growth in our singing and presentation under our current director, and who wish to continue growing and learning. We therefore seek a director with a strong musical background, including experience in teaching and leading church choirs.
We are seeking someone who has:
• A strong personal faith in Jesus Christ and a willingness to share that faith with others.
• A degree in music or equivalent experience.
• A passion for teaching, including the ability to teach parts to all levels of ability, even those who do not read music.
• A warm, patient spirit and an easy sense of humor.
• The ability to collaborate with our pastor and pianist/organist as well as with our other music ministries, including an early worship praise team, a children’s choir, and an adult bell choir.
• A willingness to work with other local churches/choir directors on shared endeavors.
• Familiarity and experience with diverse styles of music, but especially the traditional style most enjoyed by the choir and congregation.
• The ability to play piano, keyboard or organ is preferred.
Specific requirements of the job include:
• Leading choir rehearsals on Wednesday nights.
• Sunday morning worship responsibilities, including directing the choir and leading the congregation in singing hymns.
• Planning and coordination of anthems, special music, cantatas, etc. to preaching themes and the liturgical calendar. Submit planned music to the church administrator by 8:00 a.m. Thursday for the following Sunday.
• Maintain the music library and select new music materials within the limits of the church budget. Submit annual budget requests.
• Attendance at monthly Sunday afternoon Worship Committee or Administrative Council meetings, when needed.
• Preparation for and attendance at special services throughout the year, including Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunrise.
• Occasional requests for special music at weddings or funerals, depending on availability.
• Invitation and recruitment of new choir members.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume or curricula vitae, and list of references to:
Mount Olivet UMC SPRC
Attn. Rev. Cheryl Skinner
301 Mount Olivet Road
Concord, NC 28025
Contact: Rev. Cheryl Skinner
Church/Org/Business Name: Mount Olivet UMC
Address: 301 Mt. Olivet Rd. Concord NC 28083
Email: Click to email