Minister of Education
First United Methodist Church (North Wilkesboro) is seeking a Minister of Education.
For further information, please contact Dr. Terry L. Matthews, Senior Pastor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Title: Minister of Education
Status: Full Time
Salary Range: $32,000-38,000
Overall Job Description:
To support the ministry of the church by developing and supervising ministries and programs that will enable the children and families of First United Methodist Church to grow and to be nurtured spiritually in their understanding of the Christian faith and what it means to live as Christian disciples. The Minister of Education shall also collaborate with the Senior Pastor and staff of the church to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with all people, especially the “un-churched” and marginalized of our community, and to assist the staff in assimilating new members into the ministry and mission of the church.
Mark 10:13-16 “The people brought children to Jesus hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: “Don’t push these children away. Don’t ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in. Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.” (The Message)
Reports to: The Senior Pastor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Relevant experience which demonstrates training, leadership, and commitment
• Ability to relate to children and their families as well having a sincere interest in people of all ages
• A team player
• To perform other tasks as directed by the Senior Pastor Required
Skills and Competencies:
• An undergraduate or graduate degree in Christian, elementary or middle school education or equivalent
• A strong background in music and the arts
• Relevant experience which demonstrates training, leadership, and commitment.
• Ability to relate to children and their families as well having a sincere interest in people of all ages.
• Ability to share the Good News of Jesus Christ in a warm and welcoming way
• Ability to be flexible and serve the needs of the Church in a manner that is relevant and positive
- Relating to Children and Families
- Direct planning and promote the total ministry to children and their families
- Oversee the ordering of relevant curriculum and resource materials and devise a system for cataloging and reusing resource materials.
- Utilize all available technology resources for communicating the gospel to children and families.
- Conduct leadership training for teachers and workers by offering insights and explaining curriculum, effective teaching methods, etc.
- Lead in teacher recruitment and planning (including nurseries).
- Supervise Bible study opportunities throughout the life of the church, ensuring that there are studies available for all ages, groups, etc.
- Develop and adhere to a budget that will meet the needs for this area of ministry.
- Coordinate childcare for church activities and events • Lead Children’s Sermons during the 10:55 Sunday Morning Worship Service.
• Direct along with the Assistant Minister of Education and volunteer helpers, a weekly afterschool program for children (Wacky Wednesday) that includes snacks, recreation, Bible Story, crafts
• Direct weekly afterschool Tutoring Program (Tuesday Tutoring) at North Wilkesboro Elementary School for students recommended for the program by their classroom teacher • Secure volunteers to act as tutors and provide transportation to students in the Tuesday Tutoring Program
• Arrange visitation of shut-ins by the children of the Church at special times of the year such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Easter
• Arrange special mission activities for children such as Souper Bowl Sunday Collection, Undy Sunday, Bookbag Food Collection for Samaritans Kitchen and Valentine Bags for shut-ins
• Provide pastoral care, support, and Christian Education to children, families, and staff of the First United Methodist Church Preschool
• Serve as staff liaison to weekday school to insure two-way communication between the congregation and the Preschool.
• Develop, plan, and implement all aspects of the annual Vacation Bible School for all age groups. This shall be done in conjunction with the Senior Minister and Staff.
• Assist in developing and planning the educational component of annual church year activities
• Develop, plan, and implement seasonal activities (Day Camp, Field Trips, and Music and Worship Arts Week at Lake Junaluska, Trunk or Treat, Christmas caroling, etc.)
• Plan and implement Fund Raisers such as the Moravian Pie Sale to fund ministries to Children and their Families
• Participate in appropriate District and Conference events and encourage participation by others
• Undertake any other responsibilities and tasks necessary for the support and fulfillment of the church’s vision as determined by the Senior Pastor, and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
Safe Sanctuary Policy and Procedures
• Implement and oversee with and at the direction of the Safe Sanctuary policy and procedures for the First United Methodist Church congregation
• Assist in keeping the church’s policy and procedures current and in the forefront of ministry at FUMC
• Create and keep up to date the volunteer file • Oversee the completion of all Volunteer Covenant Statements
• Check all volunteers though the Sex Offender Registry Website
• Oversee the continuing education of all volunteers on the policies and procedures related to the area in which they minister • Oversee the application process, background checks, and training for all paid childcare workers
• Be a resource for all areas of ministry for working with the policy and procedures.
Contact: Terry MATTHEWS
Address: 285 RIVERWOOD DRIVE LEWISVILLE 27023
Email: Click to email