Wilderness Trail Director
Wilderness Trail is a backpacking ministry that focuses on week-long summer events for youth ages 12 and up.
- These summer events include a one-day opening retreat, five days of overnight backpacking, and a one-day closing retreat. A typical event includes 120 hikers, 25 college-age staff, and 80 high school volunteers. Over the course of the summer, Wilderness Trail hosts 40 groups from 5 states, with an average of 650 participants.
- The physical location of Wilderness Trail is a 40-acre base camp in Troutdale, VA. “The Property” hosts the opening and closing retreats that bookend 5-day backpacking experiences that are the foundation of summer events. Its facilities include a lodge, sleeping shelters, staff cabins, and outdoor chapel. From here, participants head.
- The off-season office of Wilderness Trail is currently located in Waynesville, NC, near a concentration of board members.
- Since its founding in 1987, the core topics and values of Wilderness Trail have been servant leadership, working together as the body of Christ, overcoming challenges as people of faith, and finding joy in all circumstances.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- Organizational skills, self-motivation, and a strong work ethic
- Strong relational skills that provide the ability to work with youth, college students, and adult volunteers
- Experience in youth ministry (professional or volunteer)
- Preferred: experience in non-profit work and fundraising
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of Wilderness Trail’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong public speaking ability
- Christian Leadership
- Provide Christian leadership consistent with Wilderness Trail’s core values.
- Set an example as a follower of Christ for others to follow through spiritual disciplines and acts of service.
- Board Governance:
- Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Wilderness Trail in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Wilderness Trail, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Wilderness Trail’s mission.
- Oversee the summer events. This includes: registration; recruiting, training, and supervising summer staff; organizing the program; managing logistics; and handling emergencies.
- Lead other programming throughout the year as there is interest and as is practical, such as confirmation retreats or small-group experiences.
- Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of Wilderness Trail operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as Wilderness Trail’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various churches and organizations.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Foundation throughout the State.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Property manager
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Email resumes to email@example.com
Contact: Matt Blackburn/Alan R Brown
Church/Org/Business Name: Waynesville NC
Address: PO Box 742 Waynesville NC 28786
Email: Click to email