FLOURISH is an assessment and renewal process for clergy in the Western North Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church.
The program will meet the requirement of Book of Discipline ¶349.3, "Every clergyperson will engage in a six-month process of personal and professional assessment and development every eight years…"
There are three steps to FLOURISH:
- REVIEW: On Wednesday, June 19 from 10:00am-4:00pm, you will join 30 colleagues in a one-day orientation prior to Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska at Terrace Hotel. There will be several tools to guide you in immersing yourself in an-depth review of your ministry and life.
- RENEW: On Tuesday, August 13-Wednesday, August 14, there will be a two-day retreat at the Catholic Conference Center in Hickory to explore your review findings and to discover resources and ideas for renewal events and opportunities that fit your particular gifts, challenges, ministry settings and life stage.
- RE-TOOL: On Monday March, 9-Tuesday, March 10, there will be a final two-day retreat (location TBD) to confirm next steps in growth and ministry and to celebrate the learnings and renewal of each individual.
The gatherings will be facilitated by Rev. Janice Virtue and Rev. Rene Wilt.
- Peer Teams will meet virtually or in person throughout the time to encourage, affirm, and help each other.
- Between the meetings, participants will do the work of prayer, reflection, and discernment to celebrate where you’ve been and imagine where you will go. This might include a formational and spiritual growth leave (2016 Book of Discipline ¶350.3).
Participants will be expected to:
- Deeply engage
- Participate in all three meetings
- Reflect on ministry and life in the last eight years
- Participate in a peer team
- Imagine what the next eight years might look like
This pilot opportunity is offered by the WNC Board of Ordained Ministry. Funds for renewal will be available from the WNC Leadership Development Team.