Preaching Like Peter: Studying & applying Peter’s sermons in the gospel of Acts
August 24, 2021
"But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them, '...‘In the last days it will be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." - Acts 2:14a & 17
This cohort is led by Mary Brown | 828-557-2773.
Who?: This cohort is clergy only.
- To reflect on the act of preaching through the lens of the first Spirit-inspired sermons delivered by Peter
- To practice the art of listening and being directed by Scripture together, specifically in Acts 2, 3, 4, and 5
- To put Peter’s preaching to the test by applying his approach in our own sermons
- To improve our preaching by watching and reflecting on sermons together
- To just enjoy the in-person company of new and old clergy friends, finishing each session with an optional lunch together in downtown Asheville
- Be in a position to preach at least monthly
- Have a means to easily record and share their sermons
- Be fully vaccinated and willing to meet in person, most likely in Asheville
Where?: Central UMC in Asheville
When?: Thursdays from 10 am – 12 pm with lunch following
- 9/30 (An introduction to Peter as a preacher)
- 10/28 (Peter the Spirit-inspired preacher who points out God at work)
- 11/18 (Peter’s version of the gospel: Jesus, sin, resurrection)
- 12/9 (Peter and the altar call)
- 1/27 (view and reflect on 2-3 sermons)
- 2/24 (view and reflect on 2-3 sermons)
- 3/30 (view and reflect on 2-3 sermons)
Space is limited! There is only an 8 participant occupancy.
About Mary Brown:
When Mary first felt a call to ministry as a child, her response was something like, “Sure God, anything you want – as long as it doesn’t involve public speaking.” Along the way God convinced her otherwise and preaching turned into one of the things she loves most about being a pastor.
After seminary, Mary spent 7 years as the director of Wilderness Trail (a backpacking ministry for youth). She has served churches in Charlotte, Andrews, and now Sylva, NC. In 2018 she earned her Doctor of Ministry from Duke Divinity School where her thesis was, “Preaching Like Peter: Applying the Speeches in Acts 2, 3, 4, and 5 to a Mainline Protestant Pulpit.” This cohort will build on that work.
You Might Also Like