Bishop Leeland and the Committee on Relief- Hurricanes Harvey and Irma
As United Methodists, let us stand together in prayer and support of all of those who have been affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. The state of North Carolina isn’t in the clear as we anticipate tropical force winds and rains to impact Western North Carolina. Hurricane Jose also looms behind, reminding us that storms are never far away. We are especially aware of Bishop Carter, one of our own, who leads the Florida Conference in the midst of the disaster. We also remember Bishop Lawson Bryan who is working closely with his churches in the South Georgia Conference as they serve evacuees from Florida.
READY YOURSELF Ensure that you and your congregations prepare for potential natural disasters. Know your evacuation routes, secure necessary documents, and review your congregation’s emergency response plans. Read- Local Church Checklist: Are you ready for a disaster? It is also advisable to designate a church member to remain vigilant on the actions of the Western North Carolina Conference. Please take a moment and visit Ready NC to learn more ways to plan and prepare.
DONATE TODAY & THROUGH SUNDAY SPECIAL OFFERINGS Your donations make it possible for Early Response Teams and others aiding in disaster to help survivors immediately. Beyond this, your donation dollars contribute to funding all aspects of disaster response and relief.
- Donations may be made payable to the Western North Carolina Conference, marked “Disaster Response.” PO Box 18005, Charlotte NC 28218
- You may also donate online now.
- Please continue to take special offerings this Sunday and next within your regular times of worship.
VOLUNTEER There are several ways to volunteer in Western North Carolina and areas more significantly impacted. Not all volunteers need training.
- To volunteer, please visit our online form to volunteer. More info here: https://form.jotform.us/72505324945154
- We also offer Early Response Team training that allows groups and individuals to enter disaster zones at the invitation of local emergency management officials. More info here.
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES If a disaster impacts your church or surrounding community, please follow the seven steps outlined in this document. These 12x18 posters are available at the Western North Carolina Conference Center and will be available at your district offices after September 15.
You Might Also Like