South Carolina Flooding Deployment Information
From the WNCC Disaster Response Team: We have just been informed that the South Carolina Conference Disaster Response ministry has invited ERT's from North Carolina ONLY to deploy to the flooded disaster zone. If you wish to deploy, you MUST contact your District Disaster Response Coordinator- contact info at wnccumc.org/disasterresponse - and let him/her know of your availability. Please pay close attention to the following details:
- Prepare to be on site no longer than 3-4 days.
- You must be totally self sufficient, the SC Conference will arrange for you to stay at a local UMC church, however you must provide your own bedding, personal items, towels, food, tools, transportation, and money for any supplies needed.
- You MUST have a current ERT badge.
- Do not take any items to be donated unless specifically asked to do so, such as bottled water, clothing, food, flood buckets, etc.
- Take photos, but ask permission first before taking photos of disaster survivors. Do not post to FaceBook or other social media. Respect the privacy of the survivors.
- Be willing to listen to the stories of the survivors. Many of them just need a listening ear to be able to process this horrific event.
- Ask your church to donate to UMCOR US Disaster Response Advance #901670 as a way of participating in the recovery effort.
- Check your immunization record, preferable that you have had a tetanus shot in the past 5 years.
- Things to take with you- black trash bags, rakes, shovels, gloves, face masks, first aid kit, hand sanitizer, brooms,hammers, pry bars, generator (if you have one), lights to illuminate homes without power, drop cords, a bible signed by all team members to give to the homeowner(s).
- Above all, be safe, don't take any chances, don't try to be a hero.
You Might Also Like