Director of Traditional Music
Seaside United Methodist Church
Job Description : Director of Traditional Music
Director of Traditional Music
Pastor(s) & Staff Parish Relation Committee (SPRC)
The Director of Traditional Music, working with Church leadership, will set the vision for the overall traditional music program of Seaside United Methodist Church and implement long and short-range plans for the entire traditional music ministry. The Director of Traditional Music will provide leadership to all volunteers involved in the traditional music program.
The Director of Traditional Music is accountable to the Pastor(s) and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee the traditional music program of SUMC for all traditional musical groups—children through adults. (Including but not limited to: Instrumental Ensembles, Vocal Ensembles, Hand Bell Ensembles/Choirs).
• Consult regularly with pastors and other staff members in planning communications, coordinating schedules and establishing goals for the traditional music program and related activities. • Plan and prepare choirs/musicians for special traditional musical programs (Easter, Christmas, etc).
• Provide musical consultation and support to special events such as Women’s Retreat, Country Fair, etc.
• Identify, recruit and integrate new worshipers’ musical gifts into traditional ministry activities. • Integrate outside musical groups, performers, and events into the Church musical program for enhancement of the overall music ministry of SUMC.
• Maintain church music facilities by providing a professional environment for rehearsals, and performances including organizing musical scores, organizing Choir Room. Ensure musical equipment, robes, and instruments (organ, piano, hand bells, etc) are maintained and upgraded appropriately.
• Ensure equipment is available and choir rooms are set up and organized for maximum productivity at weekly rehearsals and performances.
• Attend Worship Committee and Church Council meetings representing the interest of the traditional music ministry.
• Prepare yearly budget for traditional music ministry including all materials and expenses. Submit purchase orders and receipts to the Office Manager for all expenditures.
• Provide leadership and oversight for traditional choir and ensemble activities when requested to perform in support of community needs and services.
• Provide musical support and consultation for funerals and weddings as requested and in compliance with Church guidelines.
• Maintain professional credentials through self-development, workshops and seminars. • Manage and coordinate other special projects and perform other duties as directed by the Pas tor(s) or SPRC.
• Job Knowledge/Technical Knowledge
Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, skills, equipment, procedures and materials appropripate to the position; Applies knowledge to identify issues, resource deficiencies and internal problems; works to develop additional technical knowledge and skills.
• Trust and integrity
Is widely trusted; seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values during good and bad times; acts in line with those values; practices what he/she preaches.
• Spiritual Maturity and Theological Reflection
Ability to draw from and reflect upon one's personal experience of faith, spirituality, theology and religion; understanding and appreciation of the role of a professional who is called to a ministry, and have the ability to articulate this reality; evidence a basic understanding of theology including an understanding of the scriptural and doctrinal foundations of the faith community with regard to the assigned area of ministry; ability to connect one's personal experiences of faith, spirituality, theology and religion with the broader disciplines of our faith tradition; ability to engage others in conversation about their faith and faith development including being able to share prayerfully together.
• Managing vision and purpose.
Articulates and supports the vision and mission of Seaside United Methodist Church; communicates a compelling and inspired vision for ministry; talks beyond the “here and now” to a larger sense of purpose; creates a compelling vision of possibility, hope and optimism; helps others to own the vision
• Motivating others
Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many different individuals and groups; empowers others; shares ownership and visibility; makes each participant feel valued.
Can gather and organize resources (people, funding, materials, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; can use resources effectively and efficiently.
Accurately assess the length and difficulty of a project; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
• Bachelor’s Degree of Music Education or Bachelor of Music Performance
Certification, Music Ministry, preferred
• Minimum 5 years of music ministry in a church environment
• Experience producing and directing special events, musicals and programs
• Demonstrated competency in playing organ/piano, other instruments
• Experience leading and mentoring choirs/ensembles, working with children and adults • Proficiency in computer technology a plus
• Knowledge of traditional worship practices and theological understanding and respect of the church sufficient to appropriately select music for traditional worship
The Director of Traditional Music is a Full Time, Exempt position.
Hours vary from day to day and include evenings and attendance at all Sunday services. Travel to hospital/home visitations, workshops, meetings, etc.
Working with children under the “Safe Sanctuary” Program
Lifting of equipment approximately 40-50 pounds-- hand bell cases, chairs, furniture, etc Hearing and Sight abilities—Reading music and listening to musical arrangements Traveling with equipment for community performances
Prolonged periods of standing, conducting choirs/ensembles, stress on shoulders, neck, arms Decision-Making and Discretion
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Pastor(s) and SPRC who furnish only broad guidance and direction. The Director of Traditional Music sets the vision and goals for the traditional music ministry. Daily activities are conducted with a high degree of independence. The Pastor(s) may be consulted on issues related to schedules, sensitivity, or controversy.
• Leadership and direct supervision to volunteers who provide coordination and management of various traditional music ministry activities/programs.
• Leadership to Choir Officers
• Direct contact with Church leadership daily.
• Community organizations where ensembles perform
• Local and guest musicians
• Bereaved family members
Contact: Rev. Dr. Matthew S. Farabow
Church/Org/Business Name: Seaside United Methodist Church
Address: 1300 Seaside Road SW Sunset Beach NC 28469
Email: Click to email
Related file(s): view
You Might Also Like