Sedge Garden UMC: Organist/Accompanist
The primary responsibility of the accompanist is to provide all organ and/or piano music during the 10:55 a.m. Sunday worship service. This includes pre-service set-up, preparation for worship, offertory, communion and postlude; anthems and other service music, hymns with introductions and inspiring accompaniments; and accompaniment of soloists or other ensembles as needed. The accompanist rehearses with soloists and ensembles as needed. The accompanist will prepare large works as needed and be able to play with orchestral instruments as needed. The accompanist should also be prepared to participate in choir retreats as needed by the Director of Music.
In consultation with Senior Pastor and Director of Music, the accompanist selects and prepares service music. As part of this position, participation in worship committee and music staff meetings is expected. Some additional responsibilities include preparation and playing for special services such as Christmas Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday. The accompanist may provide music for SGUMC funerals, memorial services, and weddings as available, negotiated for and paid by the participating parties. It is understood that the organist/accompanist may not be available for all weddings and funerals.
The accompanist is given four paid weeks of vacation per year. Absences beyond this (except for illness or family emergency), will require the accompanist to arrange and pay for a suitable substitute.
- Must work well with others (Music Director, Pastor, other musicians, etc.), and accept direction, input, suggestions and constructive criticism/evaluation from SGUMC church leadership
- Commitment to UMC principles and teachings
- Perform music as written at all levels of difficulty. High level of proficiency on both organ and piano.
- Proficiency in playing open score when working on choir parts during rehearsals
- Improvisation skills are expected
- Have a basic knowledge of standard church music literature (choral, instrumental and congregational)
Contact: Barry Lyons
Address: 794 Sedge Garden Road Kernersville NC 27284
Email: Click to email
You Might Also Like