Director of Youth Ministries
May 29, 2022
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
BREVARD, NORTH CAROLINA
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRIES
We are Christ’s People, Drawn Together in Love, Moving Out to Serve
Job Summary: The Director of Youth Ministries is a full-time position tasked with serving and building a thriving ministry to and for youth that aligns with the vision and mission of Brevard First United Methodist Church. This person will have overall responsibility for leading and overseeing all ministry areas for young people (6th grade through high school). These areas include worship, small groups for discipleship, partnerships with local/community ministries, mission trips, retreats, and other gatherings. This person will also play a key role in empowering the whole church to be in ministry with young people.
Qualifications: A committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to serve God and live out one’s calling within the mission and ministry of Brevard First UMC with the following expectations:
- A calling and passion for youth ministry
- A heart for spiritual formation of young people
- Demonstrated experience in ministry with youth
- Relational skills and enthusiastic presence for leading youth and volunteer teams
- Skilled in the use of technology and social media
- Strong organizational skills
- Proven ability for leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills for healthy and encouraging relationships with coworkers, volunteers, church staff, and congregation
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Oversee all middle and high school programs and activities (through planning, scheduling, and recruiting/training volunteers, small group leaders, hosts)
- Develop and lead the leadership team (youth council)
- Develop and lead a discipleship path for youth:
- Weekly organized meeting/program and/or other times
- Encourage participation in worship, Sunday School, life groups, etc.
- Involvement in Confirmation
- Plan ways for youth to be present and engaged before the congregation, for example assisting regularly in worship, reading scripture, playing musical instrument/singing, etc.
- Youth representation on Leadership Council
- Empower and incorporate youth in the life of the congregation (worship, care, hospitality, outreach ministries, and other activities that enable youth to interact with older members)
- Schedule, plan and oversee trips, events, and missional opportunities for youth
- Plan and schedule activities for youth to invite friends or other “new youth”
- Communicate regularly with parents/guardians of youth
- Discern and develop ministry strategies for youth in partnership with Leadership Council
- Implement Safe Sanctuary training for all volunteers relating to youth ministries, ensuring compliance by all parties
- Work as a member of the church staff in planning, coordinating, calendaring, visioning, etc.
- BEING PRESENT AND AVAILABLE TO YOUTH (attend events in which youth are involved, visit in the home, etc.)
- Work with youth to play and carry out a youth worship service at least once a year
- Managing a budget (planning, purchasing, reconciling disbursements, documentation, etc.)
- Other projects or duties as assigned by senior pastor and/or Staff-Parish Relations Committee
The Vision Goal for Brevard First United Methodist Church:
Be a genuine, joyful, loving Body of Christ, nurturing spiritual growth and serving the diverse needs of our church family and the community.