Director of Youth Ministries
Director of Youth Ministries
Position: Director of Youth Ministries
Status: Full Time
Salary Range: 32,000-38,000; to be determined based on experience
Grace United Methodist is a vibrant, growing church in downtown Greensboro looking for a dynamic youth leader who has a passion for helping students grow in their faith and building relationships with youth and their parents.
General purpose of position: To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach all while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
The primary task of the youth minister is to love youth just as they are, be inclusive of all youth, encourage youth in developing their relationship to God and provide them with opportunities to nurture and grow in their faith.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth in the church and community
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the visions and goals of the youth ministry and directing bi-monthly planning sessions
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (Grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with other church teams
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with the church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- Must embrace Christian faith and character, and be open to teaching and learning United Methodist doctrine
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers
Supervision: The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) reports to the Pastor in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC). The SPRC will provide an annual evaluation of the DYM’s performance. Attendance at weekly staff meetings and Church Council meetings is expected.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary Range: 32,000-38,000; to be determined based on experience
- Access to Continuing Education budget; pending SPRC review and approval
Contact: Rev. Drew McIntyre
Church/Org/Business Name: Grace United Methodist Church
Address: 438 W. Friendly Avenue Greensboro NC 27401