Associate Director of Welcome and Witness
Associate Director of Welcome and Witness
The Associate Director of Welcome and Witness (Director) shall implement the mission of Oak Ridge United Methodist Church through providing leadership and support to guests, new members and to evangelistic outreach in general. Come alongside anyone who enters as a guest and help them to become fully integrated and connected members on the path to discipleship with Christ. Create an overall culture of welcome and hospitality to ALL who enter; becoming increasingly aware of our habits and body language as an effort to offer genuine love and acceptance to all, as exampled to us by Jesus.
- Update (weekly) the guest database and send follow-up communication to volunteers and pastoral staff.
- Coordinate Welcome Team and Parking Lot volunteer schedules and ensure all areas have the needed number for each.
- For Coffee with the Pastors, invite prospective members, maintain information packets, and greet families as they arrive. Collect member information and help prospective members decide on a date to join the church. Continue to follow-up throughout the membership process.
- Make contact with guests for follow up, next steps, etc. Make gift bags for first-time guests, solicit and schedule volunteers to distribute, and follow-up with written communication. Check in with guests who attend then drop out of contact.
- To develop, with the help of the Nominations Committee, an Evangelism Committee and to assist the staff and the Evangelism Committee in development of programs and events that attract new members and engage and retain existing members.
- Coordinate an annual New Member Dinner (typically held in January) to recognize and celebrate those who have joined the church in the previous year.
- Serve as a member of the Evangelism Committee and help with its mission. Examples of successful Evangelism Committee initiatives could include: New Member Dinner and Wild Game Dinner; Drive Thru Prayer; Fall Festival; Gift Bag program; Christmas Caroling to the neighboring apartments
- Participate in the planning of the Wednesday Night Meal, attending periodically.
- Celebrate and acknowledge new guests, members and volunteers.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Help ORUMC become an open place that accepts anyone in order to meet them wherever they are or whatever they may be facing in life, and help the congregation begin to "think what it's like to be a first time guest and/or someone new to church and faith."
- Communication should be approachable and well-blended, in order to effectively reach various demographics: ages, socioeconomic groups, ethnic groups, etc. Communication channels could include any of the following: physical mail, email, Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), printed news, radio, community newspapers, etc.
- This ministry is very volunteer driven. There is no way one person could be in all places needed, nor should they be. We are all ministers, showing our love for Christ and representing our church.
- Examples of potential volunteer initiatives include: gift bag making &/or distribution, postcard writers, parking lot, greeters, welcome desk, someone to collect your connection sheets (registration) on Sundays, compile and manage a guest file for follow-up, etc.
- Develop and schedule at least one “point person” per church service to help identify possible volunteers and guests. Work with those individuals to develop their questioning skills, in order to obtain follow up information in a friendly, welcoming way, particularly while the Director is handling other responsibilities.
- Attend all three Sunday morning church services, as well as Wednesday Night Dinners and other events as appropriate. Utilize a “point person” from among the laity to ensure that newcomers are welcomed appropriately when the director is not present.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Demonstrate the ability to engage people
- Past experience problem solving
- High School Diploma or GED
- Proficiency with MS office products, computer usage
- Ability to lift and carry 15 pound items.
Personal / Professional:
- Be a faithful servant of Jesus Christ
- Conduct all business with integrity in a professional manner in keeping with standard business practices
- Views job as an extension of ministry in service to God and is supportive of our local church’s goals, mission and programs.
- Sensitive to needs and requests from church members and willingness to overcome obstacles and interruptions to achieve excellence
- Work as a team member with church staff
- Become familiar with United Methodist goals, standards, policies, procedures
- Read and be familiar with Employee Manual
- This is a permanent, part-time position, working 20 hours per week.
Address: Oak Ridge NC