Business Manager (Director of Operations)
Business Manager (Director of Operations)
The Business Manager (Director of Operations) is responsible for managing the business affairs of the church and working with church members and staff to achieve the church’s mission objectives. The Business Manager’s responsibilities will primarily be in the areas of financial management, personnel management, and office management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Financial Management
- Supervises the work of the Finance Treasurer and Administrative Assistant in the receipt, deposit, and disbursement of all church funds.
- Oversees the administering of the payroll for clergy and church employees.
- Liaison with outside accounting firm
- Communicate bi-weekly payroll information
- Send updates (e.g. pay increases) and resolve discrepancies
- New-hires and terminations (accounting related updates only)
- Oversees the preparation of monthly financial reports.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, including, but not limited to:
- Ensure monthly mortgage payment is sent
- Reconcile bank statements
- Attend Finance Committee meetings
- Works with the Finance Committee, ministry leaders, and staff to prepare an annual budget for approval by the Finance Committee and Church Council.
- Works with the Stewardship Committee in planning and promoting the annual church stewardship campaign and capital fund drives
- Obtains an annual audit of the church’s financial statements.
- Works with the Stewardship Committee in planning and promoting the annual church stewardship campaign and capital fund drives.
- Prepare end of year forms for Western North Carolina Conference
- As Needed
- Establishes a financial record system for the church in collaboration with the Administrative Assistant.
- Develops and administers a purchasing process.
- Ownership of the church’s financial system; responsibility for accuracy/integrity of data
- Total Income & Expense; Balance Sheet; Expense Statements
- Customized budget reports for each committee
- Utilize QuickBooks software
- Manage relationship with PushPay
- Verify approval status and review payments for accuracy
- Sign checks, including payroll checks
- Ensure conformance with proper accounting practices
- Promote accountability and guard against the possibility of an improper event by encouraging and maintaining a separation of duties
- Maintain balance between QuickBooks and Servant Keeper records
- Provide assistance to each other, church council, committees, staff, and congregation, as necessary, in order to carry out the financial responsibilities of the church
- Servant Keeper
- Review donations that have been entered by the counters
- Research and answer questions from donors
- Make adjustments, updates, and corrections
- Print and distribute quarterly giving statements
- Forward timesheet/payroll data to CPA
- Calculate and request sales tax refunds
- Administer the records retention policy
- Personnel Management
- Develops and administers the personnel policies (in collaboration with and at the direction of) the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Maintains personnel records.
- Participates and advises SPRC liaisons in matters of discipline and termination.
- Assures the church’s compliance with federal and state labor laws.
- Recommends and oversees employee Pension program.
- Works closely with Staff Parish Relations Committee to develop and administer a comprehensive wage and salary program.
- Works closely with the Senior Pastor in Staff Development.
- Office Management
- Gives general direction to the weekday operation of the church office through the Administrative Assistant.
- Oversees the maintenance of all office equipment and computer systems.
- Assures proper computer backups are routinely maintained.
- Collaborates with IT ministry volunteers and staff to evaluate new technology, recommend upgrades, maintain the website, etc.
- Administers the church office budget.
- Provides oversight of all print, video, and electronic communication of the church.
- Seeks to enhance computer skills for all staff members.
- Other duties
- Works with pastor, committees to develop long range plans.
- Assists with preparation for annual Charge Conference and Western North Carolina Conference annual reporting.
- Assists with long-term record keeping of administrative committees and ministry highlights.
- Ensures long term record keeping of major church teams and committees.
The preferred candidate has an associate degree or higher, in business or a related field, with 3-5 years’ experience. Proficiency in Windows, MS Word, Publisher, and Excel. Familiar with Servant Keeper, the church’s data base system (editing, running searches, labels, and reports.) Familiar with Quick Books, the church’s accounting system.
Discretion and confidentiality in all office/church matters. Familiarity with use and maintenance of various office equipment. Able to navigate and research on the Internet.
Must be friendly and able to supervise, equip, and train volunteers. Willingness to learn new skills, willingness to accept full responsibility to complete tasks assigned. Must be detail oriented, possess interpersonal skills, be focused, and have effective verbal and written communication skills.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule due to a number of evening meetings.
- Reports to: Senior Pastor and SPRC
- Workers Supervised: Administrative Assistant, Financial Secretary Volunteer.
- Interrelationships: Interacts with all church employees. Assists public in answering questions concerning the church, job openings, etc. has contact with church members, boards, committees, vendors.
Interested Candidates: Please submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with “Business Manager” as the subject.
Contact: Tabitha Sarver
Address: PO Box 378 Huntersville 28070