Life Around the Table (LATT) is an ecumenical ministry that cultivates faithful eating and Sabbath practices for the flourishing of all creation. We believe that the renewal of the church will come through the renewal of our eating practices, and we work towards a future with a Christian community that is rooted in Sabbath delight and eats with God’s intentions for all creation in mind.
LATT is a small, but growing, non-profit organization based in central North Carolina, founded by the NC Conference of the United Methodist Church and in the process of establishing independent 501(c)(3) status. LATT has a collaborative and compassionate staff team composed of a full-time Managing Director, two full-time Ministry Engagement Coordinators, and a part-time Communications Coordinator.
LATT is an emerging leader in the food and faith movement, working at the intersection of food, justice and faith. Our work focuses around two unique programs: Sabbath Life and Eating Together Faithfully (ETF). Through Sabbath Life, we invite cohorts of clergy and ministry professionals to practice the rhythms of Sabbath, stepping away from their daily lives to delight in God, creation, and each other. Our second core ministry, Eating Together Faithfully, provides a framework for conversation for congregations, seminaries, and communities to engage with food and food systems from a theological perspective.
To date, LATT has led 64 clergy and ministry professionals from North Carolina to participate in the year-long program of Sabbath Life, and we have trained over 80 ETF facilitators in communities, seminaries, and universities from thirteen states across the ecumenical spectrum. After participating in LATT programs, these ministry professionals and trained ETF facilitators bring what they have learned into their communities, creating a positive ripple effect that continues to grow and flourish across their communities.
We acknowledge that our staff is not diverse. Our organization is committed to racial equity, starting with a thorough introspection of our organizational practices, culture, and composition. Along with this continual internal work, LATT works in partnership with congregations and community groups to address the root causes of food system inequities, and to begin building collaborative solutions rooted in theology.
Propelled by a clear purpose and a strong team, LATT is entering into a new chapter of organizational maturity, with a focus on intentional growth, impactful ministries, and the flourishing of all creation.
Our organization is seeking a full-time Executive Director who is a motivational leader and effective communicator with theological depth and experience working at the intersection of food, justice, and faith. The ED will value authenticity, partnership, collaboration, and equity, while building an engaging and inclusive culture through exceptional relationship skills, open integrity, and clear strategic vision.
The ED will represent the organization, building partnerships across the food and faith movement, identifying and leveraging opportunities, and leading fundraising and advocacy efforts. The ED is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives and has overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff and programs. The ED reports to the Board of Directors (currently in the process of being formed) and will work with the BOD to lead the transformation of LATT from its present start-up stage to a mature organization capable of delivering on its long-term vision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Provide inspirational leadership, theological grounding, and strategic direction to ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and strategic planning.
- Lead as official spokesperson for LATT and respected voice in the food and faith movement.
- Lead staff in upholding and expanding LATT’s commitment to racial equity.
- Actively develop, maintain, and engage a strong Board of Directors.
- Develop a network of connections and collaborative relationships to enhance LATT’s image and influence by being active and visible across the food and faith spectrum, and by working closely with other professional, civic, ecclesial, public and private organizations.
2) Fundraising and Sustainability
- Serve as the lead fundraiser for the organization.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit ecumenical, corporate, individual, partner and foundation funding. Expand and increase revenue generating and fundraising activities. Identify new funding opportunities and develop and maintain relationships with funders and individual donors.
- Manage LATT’s budget and ensure that it is a financially viable, sustainable organization with the resources to meet current and projected program growth.
3) Program Development and Strategic Planning
- Work with the Board of Directors and staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through LATT programs, partnerships, and community outreach.
- Recruit and retain talent to manage programs and organization.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that LATT can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
QUALIFICATION & REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; a Master’s Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of compelling leadership experience with a record of successful people, project, and budget management.
- Must have theological depth and experience working at the intersection of food, justice, and faith.
- Experience in fundraising that includes individuals, corporations, and grants.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Ability to network and build relationships.
- Experience in advancing racial equity.
- A dynamic team builder with a contagious enthusiasm for the mission, goals, and programs of Life Around the Table.
Please direct all inquiries, nominations, and applications to Meg Hunn, Chair of Search Committee: email@example.com. Applications will be received until August 1, 2020, and should include a cover letter, resume and two essays (limited to one page each):
(1) What is it about LATT that excites you and what would your long range goals for LATT include?
(2) Current events present challenges and opportunities for LATT’s mission. How would you lead LATT to face these challenges and make the most of opportunities?
Life Around the Table (LATT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.
Contact: Meg Hunn
Church/Org/Business Name: Life Around the Table
Address: 2325 Mebane Oaks Road Mebane NC 27302
Related file(s): view