Director of Discipleship
Director of Discipleship
To lead and oversee all key adult discipleship initiatives of Denver United Methodist church (DUMC) to help the congregation grow and mature in their faith.
- Develop DUMC’s adult discipleship ministry as the primary avenue for congregation assimilation and spiritual growth. Create a “discipleship pathway” that effectively brings people into our community while strengthening their relationship with Christ
- Resource small groups (as needed)
- Recruit and train leaders and manage discipleship program
- Choose/write curriculum focused at connecting groups to sermon series and worship, as appropriate
- Arrange for special topic seminars/retreats for adults (i.e. marriage workshop)
- Assist Sr. Pastor and other staff in the design, develop, and manage guest/member follow-up ministry
- Assist with Welcome Center/guest gift/first-time guest follow-up
- First Steps class (faith, basics, church basics)
- Next Steps class (spiritual gifts, putting faith into action, connect participants to a small group
- Improve upon communications that support discipleship ministries (Welcome literature, ministry opportunities, marketing for small groups, worship, sermon series guides, etc.)
- Assist volunteer leaders to maintain current Sunday school classes and Bible studies as needed.
- Preach on as-needed basis as scheduled by the Senior Pastor
- Participate in staff planning retreats with Senior Pastor and Worship Arts Staff
- Oversee all aspects of worship for Sundays you preach
- Support and implement overall mission and vision of DUMC
- Nurture overall well-being of the church, congregation, and mission of DUMC outside of primary job
- Adapt to ever-changing needs of DUMC staff and congregation
- Attend all staff meetings and lead meetings when Senior Pastor is not present
- Attend church events as required by Senior Pastor
Education or Training -
- A degree in the area of pastoral ministry, education, or spiritual development preferred
- Experience in leading and creating discipleship programs and/or spiritual retreats
- Strong giftedness and confidence in public speaking, teaching, preaching, and various forms of communication.
- Proven skills in Small Group ministry contexts, specifically in the areas of group leadership and leader training.
- Ability to build and maintain teams of responsible people through personal recruitment and coaching.
- Strong ability to work with people of various temperaments, gifts, passions, and church backgrounds.
- A consistent self-starter who is willing to accept responsibility for the success of their ministry.
- Desire to work closely with others (especially staff) in order to develop meaningful relationships.
- Proficient in using computer and communication applications
- Five years or more of experience within a local church or equivalent is desired.
- Other appropriate discipleship experience will be considered as applicable
- Ordination is preferred, but candidates actively engaged within the ordination process may also be considered.
- Attend workshops, conferences, or education (both formal and informal) to increase knowledge and awareness of Discipleship
- As outlined in DUMC Employee Handbook
Contact: Cameron Wilson
Church/Org/Business Name: Denver United Methodist Church
Address: 3910 N Hwy 16 Denver NC 28037
Related file(s): view