Accompanist- Traditional Worship
Accompanist- Traditional Worship
Accompanist - Traditional Worship
Part time, 12-15 hours/week. During higher worship seasons, such as Christmas and Easter, the
hours required will increase with added rehearsals and/or worship services. During the summer
months, when the choir is not rehearsing and there are rarely extra services, the hours will
Reports to the Director of Music and Worship Ministries
Muir’s Chapel United Methodist Church seeks an experienced pianist to accompany and enhance the worship life of the church. The candidate must be a person of faith with a passion for using their gifts and talents in worship. Ideally, the candidate would have experience accompanying services for a mid to large sized congregation with a more traditional style. Ability to complete some administrative work is a plus. Must have the ability to work with a team of staff and volunteers including instrumental musicians, choir, children and serve on the worship planning committee. The chosen candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent piano proficiency across a variety of styles.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, piano performance a plus
- 3+ years of experience accompanying a church or other large performing group
- Ability to sight read choral and piano repertoire
- Ability to play choral parts and open score when needed
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team
- Working knowledge of United Methodist worship practices and theology
- Must be able to pass a NC and US background check and become safe-sanctuary certified
- Accompany weekly Sanctuary services, 8:30am and 11:00am
- Attend and accompany all chancel choir rehearsals; Wednesdays, 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Rehearse music for all accompaniment duties to be ready for rehearsals and services.
- Select service music for Sanctuary services including: preludes, offertories, postludes, incidental music
- Serve as lead for Chancel Ensemble, and any other instrumental ensembles formed during the year. Coordinate distribution of music and facilitate rehearsals and communication for instrumental ensembles, and Chancel Ensemble (Extra ensembles form for occasions like Christmas, Easter, Hanging of the Greens etc.)
- Accompany the Children’s choirs in rehearsal and services: Rehearsals take place during Sunday morning programming.
- Attend Weekly Worship Planning and Staff meetings and offer input to the planning and life of Muir’s Chapel (preferred, but not required.) Make time weekly to meet with the Dir. Of Music and Worship Ministries to plan and go over weekly needs. (required)
- Make necessary copies for musicians of hymns and weekly worship items as appropriate, and within CCLI guidelines.
- Accompany funerals and weddings as needed, Accompanist has first right of refusal for these types of services. Honorariums above the position salary are often made for funerals and are paid by the requesting family. Weddings are always paid, collected from the requesting family.
- Assist in facility setup for music and worship events when needed
- Other duties as assigned by Dir. Music & Worship Ministries or Senior Pastor
Salary commensurate with education and experience to include weekly services, rehearsals, and preparation time. Please send cover letter and resume with 2-3 professional references by March 1st, 2020, to the Dir. Of Music and Worship Ministries:
314 Muir’s Chapel Rd.
Greensboro, NC 27410
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Playing a service and/or Chancel Choir rehearsal will serve as an audition in addition to an interview. In the event that this cannot be arranged (i.e. distance), please submit a video of your accompanying a choir and/or church service with your application materials by March 1st, 2020.
Contact: Laurin Allred
Church/Org/Business Name: Muir's Chapel United Methodist Church
Address: 314 Muirs Chapel Rd Greensboro NC 27410-6198
Phone: 336-299-1313 ext 304
Related file(s): view