Director of Mission First
Director of Mission First
Mission First is the missional campus of Woodmont United Methodist Church in Reidsville, NC. Formerly home to First United Methodist Church, this campus is now being re-developed as a missional hub for the community to embody spiritual, relational, educational, health, and other growth needs of the community. We seek a director to develop relationships with individuals, families, ministries, agencies, non-profits, schools, and government entities in Reidsville and Rockingham County, NC. The ultimate goal is to become a sustainable missional hub in Reidsville serving those whom Jesus calls us to love.
We seek an individual with experience in community development/community organizing from a faith-based perspective. Knowledge of Methodist/Wesleyan theology is a must; a certification or degree in a ministry-related field is preferred; both laity and clergy will be considered to find the right fit.
The Director of Mission First is a full-time position on staff with Woodmont UMC, including 75% of time engaged with the Mission First campus and 25% with the Woodmont campus for pastoral ministry tasks. Our staff team includes a full-time Lead Pastor, a full-time Director of Family Ministries, a full-time Office Administrator on the Woodmont campus, a part-time Office Assistant at the Mission First campus, along with a part-time Worship Band Leader, and a part-time Traditional Choir Director.
Over the last few years, our Mission First campus has developed a Monday Night Live ministry consisting of a free community meal and worship service weekly. An average of 75-100 participants attend, consisting of church members, adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities from area group homes, senior citizens from the community, families living on the margin as well as homeless individuals. The racial makeup is approximately 40% African American and 60% white with occasional Latinx families attending. Our goal is to expand this ministry to involve approximately 200 people weekly.
In addition to Monday Night Live, we have begun tutoring each Monday afternoon before the supper meal. Weekly classes are offered in cooking and craft making for adults with intellectual disabilities in conjunction with the Western NC UMC UMAR ministry. There are weekly AA meetings, bi-weekly Girl Scout troop meetings, and a half-day preschool on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. In addition to these ministries, United Way of Rockingham County has offices in the building as well as an office for Mount Jubilee Ministries who work with special needs adults and will launch a new 5-day program in July 2019.
Development of the Mission First ministry program in 2019 will include:
- Redesigning our Mission First Leadership Team to include participation from our Missional Network (UM Churches in a geographical area who coordinate together for local mission work) and other community partners.
- An assessment of the assets available on our campus and within the congregation.
- Learning from community studies what needs exist and researching which of those needs Mission First can address in a holistic, faith-based manner.
- Finding the intersection between community needs, our existing assets, community assets to partner with, and direction from the Holy Spirit.
- Involvement from United Methodist Churches in our Missional Network.
- Partnering with new ministries and agencies to increase opportunities at Mission First.
- Adding a Spiritual Life component throughout the week on the Mission First campus.
- Creating a plan and timeline for becoming a sustainable ministry setting.
The qualities and abilities we are seeking in a Director of Mission First include:
- Deep faith in Christ that drives one's life and ministry
- A rhythm of faith practices that sustain one’s life and ministry
- United Methodist background/systems understanding preferred
- United Methodist Deacon, Elder, other ministry certification is a plus
- Community organizing experience or training
- A teachable spirit
- Entrepreneur mindset
- Not afraid of failure; keeping a positive attitude in the face of setbacks
- Working well with a variety of teams
- Able to listen well in the community
- Great one-on-one skills that build trust with individuals, agencies, & government services
- Able to connect Mission First to our Missional Network & other churches/organizations
- Seeking to address deeper needs of the community social structure (beyond band-aids)
- Residing in the community to have a clear feel for Reidsville is preferred
- Open to an intentional living model (New Monasticism, Missional Wisdom Foundation, etc.)
- Able to carry out responsibilities at the Woodmont campus (worship leadership on Sunday mornings in our contemporary and traditional services, visitation to hospitals and homebound, serving on related committees)
Ministry Possibilities under consideration for the Mission First Campus:
- Food - meals; community garden; cooking classes; nutrition
- Health - partner with Parish Nurse program (we have a parish nurse)
- Education - tutoring; school readiness; parenting; cooking; technology center; ESL
- Extracurricular - art, music, theater, summer options
- Poverty - NETworX program; financial assistance; financial training; advocacy
- Home repair ministry
- Hosting community Thanksgiving meals
- Hosting summer youth mission teams
- Transportation ministry
- Disaster Response Center
Spiritual Life Focus. [our lead pastor offers many skills and experience for these]
- Worship on Monday nights – multicultural, community related
- Special Worship Services – seasonal; healing; reconciliation; prayer
- Community Dialogs hosted on campus
- Prayer – Praying the hours; prayer groups; prayer room
- Bible Studies
- Topical studies
- Centering prayer
- Lectio Divina
- Spiritual Direction
- Group Spiritual Direction
- Leadership Development
- Outdoors Ministry – partner with Camp Guilrock; Lake Reidsville; hiking; backpacking; bird watching; star gazing; Creation Care; etc.
Contact: Rev. Jonathan Brake
Address: 1926 Richardson Drive Reidsville 27320
Related file(s): view